1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow moveing slow when it gets warm.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by liberty plowing, Sep 14, 2004.

1. liberty plowing

liberty plowing Junior Member
    from 6

HI first time posting on this site. :drinkup:
    I have a 91 fisher 8 foot plow. It is hydrolic old style pump is driven by the truck motor. When the fluid gets real hot after a fiew hours like 4 of plowing the plow moves real slow. :sleeping:
    I will try changing all the fluid to see if that helps. Is anyone else having the same problem? I was also thinking of adding a small tranny cooler in the return line of the pump to keep the fluid cool. :cool: Has anyone tried the cooler idea,does it work???
  2. hyperpack

hyperpack Senior Member

My older Meyer did the same thing,the pump gets worn and the oil thins when it gets hot so it bypasses the inside the pump.
    What works well is to cycle the blade left and right when it starts to slow down to circulate the hot oil into the cylinders and push the cold oil from the cylinders into the pump tank,Synthetic motor oil also helped.
    I think the cooler would work well,I remember Police cars in the 70's had coolers on the power steering which is the same type of pump.The cooler may not allow things to warm up in really cold weather.