1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow mounting lift kit question Help

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by progmc, Feb 8, 2005.

1. progmc

progmc Member

Im looking at taking the plow off my 1989 chevy and putting it on my 1995 gmc. It should bolt right up with no problems, but the lift kit brackets look to be in the way. Where they drop down is where the mount needs to be. Has any one ran into this before, Is there away around it? Or am I just not looking at it right? Ive never put a mount on before so I have no idea. Im going to try to post some pics if it works. Thanks for any help.

gmcpic.JPG

gmcpic2.JPG

2. progmc

progmc Member

Here is the mount that is on the 89 right now

chevy mount2.JPG

chevy mount.JPG

3. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

1995 Chevy

I just took a mount (Western) off a 1990 Suburban that was from a dodge. Traded that one for the mount for my 1995 Chevy Z-71. I can't remember Exactly how it mounted on, but will look again tomorrow. The airbag sensor is mounted on the frame of the truck just behind where the mount fits (2-4"). It bolted through the tow hook bolts. I can't remember much more without looking.

I know it was much easier that taking the mount off of the Suburban! Was not happy at all.

Jeff

4. Peopleeater

Pictures

Neighbors probably think I'm nuts taking pics at 1:15 at night. Without really being able to look in detail, I think the bolts in tow hook, and another up by the airbag sensor through side of frame. I welded it instead of bolting the one through side. It didn't line up and figured a weld would be easier at the time. Gotta keep checking that though.

P1010031copy.jpg

Last edited: Feb 8, 2005
  5. Peopleeater

Airbag Sensor Pic

This is the one that shows airbag sensor.

The front of the truck the mount goes between the tow hook and frame. We had the bumper off for easy access. I can't remember if we HAD to take the bumper off.

P1010032copy.jpg

6. Peopleeater

Where in WI.?

i jsut noticed you are from Wisconsin. Where are you located? Janesville here, but plow in Rockford, IL.

Jeff

7. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

WOW :eek:

Don't know for sure, but I'd be a little scared of welding to the frame....especially there! Thats your whole frame horn strength area that you compromised with heat.

Is that the correct mount for that truck?

Progmc,

You never said what mount that your swapping.... A BOSS mount for instance would also have a problem with those lift spacers.

8. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

Guys...correct me if I'm wrong...but in this pic, a lift kit shouldn't matter. You have 3 holes to adjust with where you can lower it.

9. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

Yes you do...here is the best i can do for a pic.

100_5836 (Small).JPG

100_5834 (Small).JPG

10. Peopleeater

Welding on frame

I used to build suburban and blazer frames, along with the heavier stuff before they closed the plant. If you look at the section in question (box section) you will notice it is actually two sections welded together. We used MIG welders there, same as I did with that weld. Little truck frames are not heat treated as semi truck frames are. Do NOT EVER weld on one of those. And semi's also state right on the frame not to weld or drill.

I needed to drill a hole for that bolt. I figured the weld would be fine. Buddy did too.

Jeff

On a side note, we welded together my old toyota with angle iron and a 110 welder. What is even scarier is that it is still in one piece. This was about 3 years ago, frame was craked in half. Looked like an accordian when I hit the gas. Drove it back 45 mins like that, loaded it up and welded it, and drove it home. Was in school with a newborn, wife worked 3rd shift, and I did my homework when I should have been sleeping. I hate revisiting that time of my life.

11. progmc

progmc Member

Thanks for all the help guys, do you see the bracket that is in the pic marked gmcpic That is where my mount has to go flush to the frame. The bracket is in the way of putting the mount there. Any more help would be great. Oh peopleeater I live in the eauclaire area.

12. Peopleeater

Mount

Is this a western mount? If it is, I believe there were two different styles for that year? One that had a warning about having airbags, and one that didn't mention airbags at all. I did the one that didn't say anything about airbags. Maybe you have the other style?

I just mixed and poured 15 bags of concrete for basement floor. Put pipes in for bathroom. I would go look again, but am to tired now. We are supposed to get some snow tonight??? so gotta go get some rest.

Jeff

*** I just noticed that the bracket I think you are talking about is attached to the engine crossmember. (Bracket) My mount does NOT go past or even to the crossmember. Mine stops just in front of it.

I think it might help to take a pic of the mount so we can maybe see the setup!?***

Last edited: Feb 8, 2005