1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Mounting blues

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Potscatton, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Potscatton

Potscatton Junior Member

I have plowed snow for 30+ years. Starting with the truck and "Boss" plow I bought in 2001, the plow mounted "easy-style" wherein the plow actually is attached to the mounting carton right under the front bumper. That style has continued to be the norm with my 2004 Meyers "EZ Mount" and my current 2012 Snow Dog. I FAR FAR FAR preferred the old-style mount wherein the attachment was back under the truck near the axle. The NEW style significantly reduces approach angle and I "hit" far too often- annoyingly. Also, on the old style with the hoist separate from the plow itself, you could attach the lift chain and slightly raise the plow off the floor at which point it weighed nothing and could be easily guide onto the attachment clevis. Yes, you had to lay prone on the floor/ground to slip in the pins and put the clips on 'em, but I always kept an old tarp for that- and I'm limber enough that it was not a big deal. (If you are not at least that limber, should you be out in the storm in the middle of the night plowing?) The "EZ" mount systems are, IMHO, more difficult- especially when the plow and hoist frame/lights are all one assembly which weighs hundreds of pounds. It's no trouble in the garage, where it's level and dry and well-lighted, but if you ever have to hook up out in the snow (and who hasn't?) the "EZ" alignment isn't so easy and to get the pins to pop in can be problematic. (I always carry a 6-foot digging bar to pry/nudge the plow's A-frame to get it aligned with the pin mount holes.) LONG story short: Can you still buy the old style plow with the long A-frame and a mounting carton that sits back under the truck and a hoist frame that permanently attaches to the front of the truck as 3 separate pieces? And mount it "the old-fashioned way" with pins and clips? (AND I always liked the old Meyers 2-toggle switches mounted under the dash for left/right - up/down far better than the joystick controllers!!) (Call me old fashioned...)

2. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I'd have to agree, in comparison to my RT2s I'd call the old conventional mounts a treat... but I have not tried anything more modern either. There is a reason my plows stay hitched all winter! Seems no matter what they are never quite square to the truck, or quite the right height... then they want to slide forward instead of sliding into place etc. Takes two people, a 6' pry bar, and a floor jack... ugh. My old conventional mount Fisher I can put on by myself in three minutes.

I hope the newer stuff works like the ad videos, where you drive up and click click click done. Cuz what I have is far from easy....

I do, however, prefer the joystick to the old rocker switchs and the newer handheld controller. I'm so glad Boss had the forethought to keep the hookup the same so you can switch to what you like, since we all seem to like something different!

3. contractor 413

contractor 413 Junior Member

I just changed to a mm2 from conventional this winter. After hitching/ in hitching a few times it takes literally a minute. The trick I found on my uneven gravel driveway is to drop the blade on a two foot piece of 2x4 on each end. If you pull into it on snow or it melts into the ground you already have a pry bar under it and the blade can slide a little if you drive in a little out of square. I would never go back to conventional but real hydraulic power I do miss when stacking or you get a little greedy pushing back. Old style had just enough power to angle blade while backing out and pop the front tires back on the drive.

4. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

I am with you! All my plows and trucks are plow only! Manufactures should offer a simple mount system for those of us that do not take the plows on and off! Blizzard is a perfect example, I could care less about the draw latch system, a complication and a waste for me. And what, $500/$1000 cost, crazy. Lights on or off-who cares.

Make a model A and B and let the buyer decide. I would bet with the true cost difference, most would select the cheaper of the two anyway!

5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

You guys are missing out. My boss is 2 electrical connections, flip 2 small levers, lift up on a toggle switch and it hooks itself up. The whole process is easier then bending over to tie your boots before you leave the house.

6. derekbroerse

Always wondered how well they work on gravel, or slightly off level etc.

7. scottydosnntkno

scottydosnntkno Member

Unless your dropping it on quicksand, it'll be in the same place and height when you hook back up to it.

Many models (western is one) have two independent feet on each side that drop to to contoured ground.

I have a hiniker, and keep it in my garage on car dollies so I can move it around. I bump the truck tires up against the lip of the garage, drop it on the dollies, unplug and latch and roll it away. Remounting is just as easy, stop the truck at the lip, roll the plow up and push it on the prongs, flip one lever sideways that pins both sides and install the spring clip to lock it. Two electrical plugs and it's good to go

New technology is far superior to old style mounts

8. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

yeah like mark13 said it could be easier with the boss snow plow. drive into the blade, flip 2 levers and raise the toggle switch and it hooks itself up.

9. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I've had no trouble. I mostly unhook it inside the shop but I have unhooked it other places and never had trouble getting it back on the truck.

A friend of mine has an ultramount mvp he unhooks everywhere and he has a little more trouble at times hooking it back up but it's never more then a 5 minute ordeal.

The only time I could see hooking it back up could be difficult is if you unhooked it on top of a bunch of packed snow and then with a warm up the snow melted and drastically changed how the blade sat. Or the snow/ground where the truck would sit was changed by another truck or piece of equipment.

10. derekbroerse

The Ultramount if I'm not mistaken has a pivot bar to correct misalignment.

The RT3 Boss always looked so slick in the videos, just always wondered how true it was in the real world. Mind you, I really can't justify replacing my plows just because they would be easier to hook up, since my trucks are dedicated snow trucks anyways.

Your example is spot on to what I have experienced. The plow would really only come off if there was going to be a warm spell and I needed the truck for something else (like long distance towing etc). Getting the plow off can be just as miserable as putting it on when it comes to hardpack--I've had to chain it to a tree or the tractor's loader before just so it would slide off the mount (no matter how well greased it is). Then off you go to do your thing, and a week later you return to hook it up for the next storm and find that with the melt down it has sunk the better part of two inches into the gravel (on one side, one inch on the other maybe) then nothing works right to hook back up, hence the jack and prybar. It would probably also help to some degree if the original owners hadn't lost the parking 'foot' on every plow I own...

Guess I'm stuck with the not-so-quick-attach for a while yet. But I do agree with the original poster, the conventional mount with pins was never a problem.

Anyone here ever use the original RT1 quick attach? The one with the cable and lever all the way up into the cab of the truck? I have an RT1 plow but never had a proper mount for it, its been modified to fit a Fisher conventional mount and works perfectly... two pins and a chain lift (just like the Western and Fisher guys always wanted Boss to have... they did, once upon a time...)

The 6'-6" is a weird hookup, with two vertical pins...

11. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

I had just that situation a month ago. I unhooked on some compacted snow and it melted and I had to use my jack to raise the plow to hook back up but it wasn't more than a 5 min ordeal.

12. Plow Nuts

Plow Nuts Senior Member

I went from a Meyers e47 set up to a western ultra mount....what difference. 90 seconds and I am hooked up and gone. Would. Never go back to the old meyers pin set up. Just my .02