1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow mounted strobe lights

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Easy, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Easy

Easy Senior Member

Does anyone know of any strobe lights designed to mount on a plow blade? I have a customer with a drive on a 55 MPH road with giant blue spruces that block your line of sight when pulling out. If I could have some strobes mounted on the outer edges of the plow blade, it might help. I put reflective tape down the side, but it makes me leery pulling out unless it is pitch black and I can see headlights coming.

Thanks
    Don

2. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Seems to me that they're probably too fragile to mount on the plow itself.

What about setting up strobes in your turn signals? I think some people here have done that, try searching for it.

3. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

my guess is by the time the turn sigs are visable the plow will be 3-4' into traffic.....

4. Easy

Easy Senior Member

I have strobe in my turn signals, but the plow sticks 3-4 feet in front of the truck and enters the highway before traffic could have a chance to see the strobes due to the thickness of the spruce trees.

Don

5. Whelen makes a wing plow TIR3 super led series for mounting on wing plows. One light is for when the wing is down and the other is for when the wing is stored in the travel position. I personally have not seen these lights up close in person, just on one Mass Highway truck where we meet when we turn around when plowing one road. From what I did see of them, they really do catch your attention, and help the wing become visible. Not sure if you could modify the mounting brackets so it can mount to a front plow though, but if they work on a wing plow they should work on a front plow and with stand the shock associated with plowing.

6. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

That is why I use rotating Lights. Much more visible around corners than strobes. It is true you can see strobes much ferther away in line of sight. but for visability around corners rotating for me.

7. Easy

Easy Senior Member

I have a cab mounted rotating beacon, but again behind the trees, you can't really see it. I have had a couple of close calls trying to exit this place, and try and plow only when dark.

Don

8. payton

payton Senior Member

9. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn Senior Member

Thoes strobes wouldnt be able to take the vibration of the plow, best bet would be led like thoes whelen wing lights, but it will be expensive. I would first try putting DOT tape on the sides and the top of the plow.

10. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

Get Whelen LIN3s and fab a bracket to mount them a few inchs back from the end of the moldboard in the back facing out to the sides. The LEDS can take the shock, and they are extremely bright. I have several myself and have installed many. You won't be disappointed.

11. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

A friend of mine has them in the headlights on a western unimount proplow. He installs the lights on police/emergency vehicles for a living. So it is possible. His business is in Illinois.

12. Jakkle5

Jakkle5 Member
    from Mass

Have any pics?

13. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Pretty cool. I'd have them if....

Those are much nicer than the ones that came on my old Mass Pike Truck.They used to make a wing strobe that was cone shaped but this must have replaced it...See link below...Nice setup...

http://www.whelen.com/pb/install/138/13878.pdf

14. KingDuramax

KingDuramax Senior Member

Tell the cutomer to trim the tree branches up or you aren't going to plow anymore. A driveway isn't worth a wrecked truck and raised insurance rates. Worse yet another persons car wrecked and your at fault.

15. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

unfortunately not

16. Easy

Easy Senior Member

Thank you for the replies, I will look into the Whelen lights as they seem to be made for the plow.
    Thanks again
    Don

17. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

I used to have hideaway strobes mounted in the corner turn light lenses on my SnoWay plow... I just installed them and used a 7 blade round RV style trailer plug connectors to unplug when I unhooked the plow from the truck (because the plow lights stay with the plow not with the truck).. I found that other styles of plugs other than the big plastic 7 blade RV style would short out because they're made of metal and they'd get ice in them and the super high voltage of strobes would short out, so the big 7 blade RV style plastic ones are the only way to go. Most strobes use 3 wires per head so you'll have an extra connector blade for an auxillary if you wanted or nothing at all. I think these would get the visibility out there for you.

18. DodgeRam1985

DodgeRam1985 Member
    from Ohio

I run a bar across the top of my rig that has all rotating lights in it (the old school bar light) and if you can't see it reflecting in the snow ahead or all around me, chances are you shouldn't be alive, I guess it's just darwinism taking control at that point.