1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow mount ?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by earnies2, Jan 25, 2012.

1. earnies2

earnies2 Senior Member

Ok i never owned a Meyer plow I just bought a 71/2 plow with E47 pump ,a tube uprite and lights...i think i got a good deal at $120...plow is in decent shape..nice and strait with a nice edge..even the pivot mounts look like thay have been replaced...any way i want to mount this on my Land Rover...I know thay dont make a mount for it...I have a winch bumper on it ...i need some advice asto the tube mount and if there is souch a thing as a universial mount....i can weld ...I also need to know how fare from the ground to mount the blade...also what i need for switches and wiring it did'nt come with none of that...any help would be appreaciated....thanks ussmileyflag

2. Murphy4570

Murphy4570 Member

You'll have to fabricate your own out of angle iron. I believe you can get new tubes for your EZ Classic mount to slide into, so you can fabricate off of that. It sounds like that's what you have, anyway.

You'll want to have the lower mount where the A-arm of the plow hooks up about 10-11 inches off the ground.

You got a helluva deal too, the pump goes for about $300-400, the plow is another $200-400, and the tube mount is usually $200 ish.

3. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

Look on the meyer site at installation instructions for a few different classic mounts for various vehicles... this will give you some ideas. The frame needs to be a lot stronger than you would think. I've seen some poorly designed homemade mounts that failed miserably.

4. Murphy4570

Murphy4570 Member

LOL you'd love to see the cobbled together crap on my boss's truck then. Hack!

I fabricated the bottom truck mount for my truck, it takes time. Drilling out the holes for the 5/8" bolts was a ***** too! I was fabricating for the old Custom Classic mount though, not the "new" EZ Classic. Bottom part that the A-frame bolts to might be different.

I'd recommend at least a 220 welder. I used a 110 MIG, and it took forever. Had to V notch the steel and make multiple passes to get good penetration. Turned the wire speed down and the amps to maximum (old Lincoln SP-135 welder) to get the weld puddle to penetrate as much as possible, instead of puddling on top.

I believe I used 3/8" or 1/4" thick angle iron, 2" wide. :mechanic:

5. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

your prices are a bit low.
    an E-47 goes for $400-$600, plow is $300-to $500, and a tube mount is $300 to $400.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Meyer makes a plow for the European market for the Land Rover Defender but not the Disco.

you can talk to the guys at Crafttech (http://www.crafttech.se/start) or taubenreuther (http://www.taubenreuther.de/Home.htm) about a Snoway mount. They have trucks we have never heard of.

If they have a mount maybe you can get instrutions to help you build your own.

7. Murphy4570

Murphy4570 Member

Holy crap that's a lot! I'm going off of average prices I see around my way (South Jersey).

And if my prices are low, then you wouldn't even want to know what I paid for my Meyers plow setup, lol. Might give you a heart attack from the low price. :jester:

I am prolly light on the EZ Classic mount though, my experience is with the old-school Custom Classic style mount (behind the bumper type).

8. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

up here in north joisey that is the going price for parts. and you will not give me sticker shock.

i picked up a patchwork 7.5 ft plow with a E-60 pump, nitesaber lights, complete wiring harness, hoop, and truckside mount for 99-04 superduty last week.
    the plow is messed up because it was put together with parts from 3-4 other plows and then not put together properly, and he needed money. i really did not need it so i threw him a stupid price and he said deal.

i gave him $300 for everything. :D

9. earnies2

earnies2 Senior Member

Deals

The deals are out there...that was an exelent buy...the lights put the icing on that cake....I measured the tubes on my mount thay look like thay are 2 3/4 OD...I bet Meyers did that on purpose...i was thinking on using structial steel tubing...2 3/4 ID is not a standard size...does any one have a tube mount thay want to sell????payup

10. Murphy4570

Murphy4570 Member

Damn that's a straight STEAL!

I have about $1,000 into my entire plow setup. The big costs came from rebuilding the entire plow. Got a rusted out plow for free, had to re-skin it, put new angle rams on it, new hardware, pins, springs, everything. Blew through a whole bottle of oxygen torching the old skin off too. The good deals were a good used E-47 for $150, Custom Classic mount for $200, and of course a free rebuildable 7 foot 1960's era Meyer plow.