1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow mount question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by casey, Dec 11, 2002.

1. casey

casey Banned

To install a plow on old ford truck, how hard is it and how many holes do you have to drill in the frame??? 89 ford and myers plow with ez mount?
  2. sosnow

sosnow Junior Member

Thanks casey for sending me here, and for asking my question, markl
  3. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

:nono: Your trucks are only allowed to have snowblowers loaded on them!! What's going on here?? ;)

Not sure on the mounting question, but my guess is not much drilling for that set up.
  4. BRL

Oh OK, I see what's going on here now. You had me worried there Casey.

Sosnow, I would have the dealer mount it for you, shouldn't cost too much. That way if there are any problems, they can take care of them for you.
  5. sosnow

sosnow Junior Member

The reason I was thinking about doing it our self was we can buy the plow in virgina for 1100 to 1300 less than we can here. I can get it here for $50 in freight(know someone on the inside) this is a big saving for some thing I will never get to use.:)
  6. casey

casey Banned

No need to worry.

I'm sure that old Ford could haul a trailer full of blowers better than it could hold a plow.
  7. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

That is funny. I was going to mention that I had never heard of a Meyer snowblower, but thought the better of it. On the other hand, maybe he is thinking about going big time and having a truck mounted unit??? The poor guy will never live down the snowblower threads of days gone by. :D

8. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

Casey, No joke, I just did this by my self last week. I took a Western off of my brother inlaws 89 Ford X cab Power Stroke and installed a Meyer EZ mount. Drilled 2 5/8 holes. The only trick I can suggest is to position a floor jack under the truck so you can lift the FRAME. This will allow you to slip the main push bar assembly in between the rails. Lift the frame so the tires stay on the ground. This pushes the front shackles back allowing the push bar to be slipped in. Good luck. Mail me with questions.:)
  9. BRL

That being the case, I agree with installing it your self. Or, it may even still be worth it to have the local shop install it. The shop is charging you for the labor (and any required parts\materials) to install the thing, it shouldn't matter to them if you bring one that you bought somewhere else, or if they're installing one you bought from them. That happens all the time.

As far as Casey goes, I think I can keep up with most plowers out here, and I wouldn't try to compete with what he's doing with those tight residential routes. I don't do walks & while I will clear the drives faster than him, it will never look as clean as the blowers will leave it, & those customers won't be happy with that. Then I still have to have a sidewalk crew go through with blowers or shovels & wait for them or pick them up later, wasting more time from having that truck plowing. Its not for me, but if he's got guys willing to brave the elements, it can surely work like that for him.
  10. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

Re: Simple!

no such truck produced, it was a 89 xcab 7.3 IDI non turbo diesel, not a powerstroke.;)