1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow motor will occasionally stay engaged.

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by MAINE-MAN, Feb 12, 2015.

1. MAINE-MAN

MAINE-MAN Junior Member
    from Maine

Hey everybody, I've been having some the same problem with my plow for quite some time. After I use it for 10-20 minutes the motor will occasionally get stuck in active mode. It doesnt matter what I make it do; left, right, up, down... It will stay active, screeching at the motor until I disconnect the positive terminal from the motor or unplug the connection at the grill. Turning off the truck doesn't stop it. Sometimes, if I "play" with the joystick when this is happening the situation will remedy itself, however this is rare. Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Probably need a new solenoid.

3. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

You could have a bad joystick, harness or solenoid. Next time the plow motor stays engaged, disconnect the joystick under the dash and see what happens. If it stops you know you have a bad joystick. It doesn't hurt to switch out the solenoid, they fail get wet, etc etc. Try those things and let us know. Otherwise you need to swap the control harness or power cable.

4. MAINE-MAN

MAINE-MAN Junior Member
    from Maine

I have tried the joystick theory to no avail; the motor stays engaged. The system will work for 20 minutes or so and then this starts happening on and off. I have to jump out of the cab and pull the power cable from the solenoid to the plow motor off for the problem to stop. Shutting off the truck will not solve the issue. I changed the solenoid when I first brought this truck home which makes me doubt it is damaged.

5. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

Ok so you probably have a bad harness somewhere in the system, the cheapest one to fix is the power cable 63411 but honestly it is probably the control harness 26345, really the only thing it could also be is the plow side battery cable 21294

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I changed the solenoid when I first brought this truck home which makes me doubt it is damaged.

Really? So you changed it when? And with what kind? Oh and you know, new parts can fail too.

Since your dead set on it not being the solenoid, I'll tell you to remove one of the small wires going to it (the signal wire from the controller) the next time it happens. I'd the motor stops when you remove one of them, then something is shorted somewhere, sending signal when it shouldn't. If it stays running with the signal removed....then let us know.

7. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Replace the Solenoid - If it still does it you have a spare.