1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Motor will not shut off

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by Reynolds, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Reynolds

Reynolds Junior Member

I have an old Hinker plow that I bought last year, worked just fine all last year, went to go out and start it up this year and.... After finally getting the truck started The plow when power is attached to it travels up and the motor for the plow just keeps running. If I take the joystick and turn it on the plow motor keeps running but It has full function of up, down, left and right. I put the plow down and turn off power to the joystick the plow goes up again. Interestingly enough the plow motor will also run without the ground attached to anything. With the ground attached or not the plow motor runs and pulls the plow up, but the motor will not stop running. Why would the motor keep running???? And why/how does the motor run without the ground attached??? By the way this is my first plow and I don't know allot about these things, But I can follow directions and take suggestions. Please help Thanks.
  2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Bad 12 volt solenoid most likely and it's grounding though the black iron. not a good situation. Easy to fix replace the 12 volt motor solenoid
  3. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

This what I was thinking as well
  4. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

I agree on the solenoid being bad. Alot cheaper to replace than the motor
  5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Or a pump, which is what will happen if he keeps using it for a ground.