1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow motor runs when its not supposed to

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by cl733, Dec 26, 2015.

1. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

Okay so first ill explain what I have and what went on and see if someone can explain why it happened
    So I have a small led hooked up to the power out side of my motor solenoid so I can see if my plow motor is running, because ive had a solenoid weld up and take out a motor previously, and its been working perfectly
    I use the old style controller for my 810, its got no joy stick but rather it just has the switches, but ive added extra toggle switches so I can angle the blade and push a wing out or pull a wing in , bucket blade, bucket blade to straight blade, etc and for two years its worked flaw less
    So im plowing couple of days back and im noticing that the motor is getting power as my led is lighting up and I can hear my 225 amp cole hersee is engaging without me touching anything, under closer watch I notice that it only does it when the blade is down , in the float position,so the motor is running in float? trying to do any other commands is useless wont angle , no wing nothing works
    So I thought maybe something went wrong with the controller, I plug in my brand new joy stick controller when everything is locked up, expecting it to all work again , and nothing changes, still locked up, so I had been dealing with this for nearly an hour as I was desperate to finish my properties, with this intermittent behavior going on until it finally wont do anything, with my commands I can get the motor running but hear the pump by passing with no blade movement

So now its time to lift the motor cover and see what I can find

I find the bolt for the solenoid grounds has backed out four or five turns, and the bolt on the other side for the motor ground is loose also, so I tighten everything back up and plow for another 7hrs and the blade doesn't miss a beat all the rest of the day
    So can anyone explain to my why the motor would have been running in float , I originally had thought I had a short in the main harness , but the blade ran perfect after a tightening of grounds, maybe a bad diode , if that's possible, on my controller board?
    there must have been something grounding back thru the controller to run the pump in float or I don't know
    we are getting more snow later today and thru the night so ill be plowing again tomorrow, and see if its still all good, but can anyone give any kind of explanation as to what happened , it only acted up in the float position :confused:

2. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

If the motor was not actually running and just the LED was lighting it could be explained with this theory:
    Because the float wire is located closest to the main power wire a weak ground may cause the current to seek ground by jumping the gap (either at the connection point or internally in the mounding) to the power wire. An LED would not require much current to light and may have done so in this situation.

3. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

Well for sure the motor was running My led light is on the out put side of the solenoid if it's lit up there is power to the pump motor I hear the solenoid energize and pump running but with the loose coil ground bolt none of the solenoids would work putting the pump into bypass.
    To stop the pump when this was happening I would flip the switch into hold and the pump would stop
    It's pounding down snow here right now so I know I'll be out early and see if it's still all good but those loose grounds on the plow sure made for some strange happenings and maybe tomorrow will continue but I'm still baffled how the pump can run when in float mode

4. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

went back out the next day to plow for about 4 hours and it started doing it again, pump will run in float, quits in hold, so I tighten the ground back up again, and run it for another 8 hours with out a hitch, go out the day after for another 10 plus hours and works perfect again, strange, think the next time it does it I will plug in the new joy stick, and see if it will run the pump on float

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Where's your ground cable at?

6. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

If you want to be extra prepared just run an extra ground from pump to truck ground.

7. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

They are unchanged from stock , it runs to the bolt on the back of the valve block, opposite side of the bolt for the solenoid grounds

8. dieselss

Huh?
    The way mine were. Main ground into the manifold with the valve grounds. With a lock washer.I have never had any issues with mine or the companys plows coming loose.
    I.personally have since changed the setup on my newer one.

9. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

but that doesn't sound like the problem if its running, and with full power, then it is for sure got all the ground it need to run, whats puzzling me is how is the motor solenoid getting energized on a float signal, maybe the next time it does it I will pull the controller to main harness apart and see if I have any other circuits energized to start the solenoid, it acts totally normal until the common solenoid ground comes loose

10. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

mine are both to manifold just one on each end , maybe ill slip on a new lock and some more lock tite

11. dieselss

What you could do, get a longer bolt that threads all the way in, then put a nut on, and tighten the nut to hold the wires in place. I can take a picture if what I'm talking about if your curious

12. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

I know what you mean , ive done that on the motor ground, I bottom the bolt out then tighten up the nut, yeah im going to have to come up with a better mouse trap, the threads are all really good still ill just have to maximize them , ive never had a problem like this ever with this blade