1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? Explore this quick video tour of updates and enhancements. It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow motor runs, but will not move blade

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by badexample1, Nov 18, 2008.

1. badexample1

badexample1 Junior Member
    from MI

I have a MMI, I think with two plug electrical connection. All the electrical connections have been cleaned and wires checked.
    I changed the oil in the res. last spring and checked the operation after and everything worked fine. Stored it indoors for the summer and mounted it last night and now....

When you move the joystick, left, right or up the motor runs but nothing moves. Moving the joystick down, the motor does not run, the blade is on the ground however.

I went through the trouble shooting guide last night and everything checks out electrically.
    Could the pump filter be plugged? Where is this located? Any other ideas.
    Thanks for the help

2. rbergevine

rbergevine Member

Yes, filter could be clogged but I'd be surprised because you said it ran fine before storage. The filter is in the resevoir (at least on my MM1). The motor does not run on down, the valve just opens and the weight of the unit forces fluid through the valve in the manifold. Since the motor runs on the other operations this seems like 1) a ground issue on the solenoids or 2) a purely hydr issue - clogged soleniods for ex. 3) pump is dead Since none of the action work L/R/UP I'm thinking not a clogged valve. My gut tells me you are not getting a complete circuit to open/close the appropriate valve (which the motor is trying to feed with fluid).

Hope this gives you some ideas to consider.

3. badexample1

badexample1 Junior Member
    from MI

Pump was fine, I did replace the O ring while I was in there.
    The longest solenoid had a piece of packing in it, holding it open.
    I cleaned all three and bench tested.
    Problem fixed!
    Thanks for the help rbergevine.
    What a great site!

4. rbergevine

rbergevine Member

When I have problems with anything I just always make sure everything is cleaned out. Then I go from there. Glad you got it working