1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow motor running alll the time

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by farmertim, Jan 25, 2003.

1. farmertim

farmertim Member

Ok current and former Uni-mount owners...

What would cause the plow motor to run all the time even though the plow is not asked to do anything?
    It happens only after I engage the plow motor after hooking it up. then it will stop when I unhook the main power plug, but run continually again after rehooking the main power plug again but only after I engage the motor again.
    Any idea's

Thanks Tim

2. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Something freaky with your motor relay,your juice goes in the relay and comes out when "asked for" like when you hit your controll up,down etc. Your juice is running straight thru the relay sounds like.

3. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

I'd try putting a new switch solenoid on it. II don't know where yours would be but mine is on the firewall. The are only 12-15 dollars any way.

4. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Solenoid

Tim more that likely you have a bad solenoid. They can stick in the on position causing the motor to get power all the time. Try plugging in your plows power connector and tapping on the solenoid, if the motor stops you have found you problem. You may also want to see it the motor runs with the controller disconnected, I haven't seen one fail keeping the motor running but anything is possible :rolleyes: John

5. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

So your not confused the solenoid and motor relay are the same part,just different names and for whatever reason i end up changing one every other year.Not hard at all,only a few wires and your back in biz.

6. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Motor (solenoid) relay for sure... happened last nite,,almost burned up the alternator.

7. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Good one here.....Customer hooked the power plug in backwards.......Shouldn't be able to but anything can happen with a few beer's.......Kept the motor running till he pulled the plug and put it back in........Did this several times before calling to demonstrate what whas happening.......

Laughed all the way back to the shop. Jerre

On the serious note. Solenoid can stick open ( no power out when triggered ), Stick closed ( full power all the time ), or intermittently ( stays on till deenergized--pull the plug ) or hit with something.

Carry a spare and the parts to change it and life will be much nicer at 3:00 a.m. when it happens in the middle of the storm.

Jerre