1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Motor Amperage draw

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by 2004blkcorvette, Dec 19, 2010.

1. 2004blkcorvette

2004blkcorvette Junior Member

I own a Fisher Inst-Act with the standard 21500k-1 two terminal pump motor. My question is what should the amperage draw be for normal operation when lifting the blade? I can't seem to find this data in any Fisher or Western motor literature or anywhere on the web for that matter. The motor is 1.04 KW operating at 12 V dc, so nominal amps should be 86.67 with no load, but what should it be in operation? Any help is apreciated.

2. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

dont quote me, but I thought that plow pumps were somewhere in the 300 amp range....why else would your alt guage go down to 9v when lifting, my electric spreader takes 70 amps and does nothing to my alt guage

3. damian

damian Senior Member

i know a blizzard plow takes55-65 amps to angle and 150-165 to lift

4. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Fisher/Western states 200 amps as max draw with the pump against the pressure relief (all the way raised with the control still activated). I usually see 170-190 on systems that are operating fine. I've seen 200 and slightly over without any issue as well. Much over 200, and I think the motor is getting tired.

5. 2004blkcorvette

2004blkcorvette Junior Member

Thanks guys. I just read mine and it's drawing 157 - 165 amps so I guess it's good!