1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow mods

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by chevman-67, Jan 10, 2005.

1. chevman-67

chevman-67 Junior Member

has anyone installed a older meyers plow on a 88-up 1/2 ton 4x4. I will send pics of my plow and harness i have tried all my local dealers and noone has an old harness to fit my truck so now i am into modifacations. i have to fabricate my lift frame and clevis frame to mount on my truck.if anyone has done this and can send pics i would appreceate i thanx.
  2. chevman-67

chevman-67 Junior Member

here is a pic of my plow harness can anyone tell me what kind it is make model ect it is a power angle meyers plow but dont know what model it is.

meyers plow003.jpg
  3. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

That looks like someone modified a stock upper meyer mount. On an 88 the Bumper should have been removed and the plow mount should have gone in its place. Then the bumper would bolt to the plow mount. That isnt rite....Rob
  4. mikes plowing

mikes plowing Member
    from cent pa

I'm new to the site. But i have the same plow set up on my 87 chevy. It is a E47 pump. To hook it to your truck you have to remove the bumper and fasten to the frame. I'f I get a chance in the moreing I will take some pic of mine and post them for you. It is not hard to hook up but will take some time.
  5. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

You wont find a harness at a dealer, That is considered a conventional style mount and the headlights/marker lights were basically hardwired into the truck. Try going to www.chuckschevytruckpages.com, he has some good info for wiring the older meyers there
  6. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

If what your looking for is the lighting harness I have a new one. It includes a set of used lights but all of the wires have been replaced. Let me know if your interested...Rob
  7. chevman-67

chevman-67 Junior Member

thanx guys i dont need the light harness what im trying to do is figure out how i will mount this lift frame or harness to my 88 chev.Im also trying to figure out what kind of plow this is ?is this what they call an (md2) ect.
    yes this plow came off another truck and was fabricated before to fit that truck not 88 chev but harness was not damaged if i remove the steel they welded on it will look stock.they added 2 ,1"sqaure tubbing from lift frame to the clevis frame for support ,why I dont know unless it was part of the last mod.

meyers plow001.jpg
  8. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

it is a Meyer frame- they added what they did to reinforce the trucks frame- the extensions would have gone back to the frame behind the front dog leg. In other words connecting thr front of the frame to just behind where the frame bends up and back down around the front suspension. Lighter duty trucks tend to bend frames from plowing in this area so this was a very common modification in earlier times.

Measure the distance between your frame rails at the front bumber and check that to the mounting ears of this frame- if they match you have to remove the bumber and try lining up the plow frame with the truck frame holes.
  9. chevman-67

chevman-67 Junior Member

still haven't got the info i was hopeing somone could help me with.
    see if there is a fresh mind with some ideas and answers that might help me.

step by step

Take the plow frame completly apart even the pump for weight reason 1: take your bumper off
    2: bolt upper frame to the front of the truck (the part the pump and lights mount on)
    3: Take the lower frame (the part the plow pins on) find a place just foward of the a arms and bolt it to the frame
    4: Replace the pices of square tubing to conect from the upper to lower plow frame they seem to be in the right place from what i can see in the pic but they may not bee the right length
    5: wire the pump and lights
    6: GO MAKE SOME payup
  11. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

Get ahold of Garagekeeper or BigNate.
  12. chevman-67

chevman-67 Junior Member

sounds easy enough do you think it is possible to leave on my bumper as i will be taking the lift frame off every spring. and does anyone know what model this plow is (md-2) ect.Thanx for all the replies there a big help.
  13. mjm725

mjm725 Junior Member
    from NJ

You could get the EZ mount lift frame and mounting carton. I know you can get everything online for about $700.00. Then your old plow and pump will mount right to it. Doing it this way you can remove the lift frame in the spring when your not going to use it.

no you can not leave the bumper behind the plow frame unless you are a master fabricator and want to make many barckets to do so
  15. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I hope you have a torch or access to one, the bumper bolts need to be burned off, you will never get them off with normal tools. I have the same truck,they just turned in the holes. Most plow mounts are bolted on to the trucks frame then the bumper bolts to the mount. Measure the mounts width and make sure it will fit the frame of the truck.Look at the front of the mount,will the bumper bolt to it? Install guides are available on line at the Myer web site.
    You might have to fab your own harness for it.
  16. chevman-67

chevman-67 Junior Member

Thanx guys im going to try and have some fun this weekend and mount this plow on my 88 gmc 4x4 wish me luck and thanx for the advise.By the way i still havent found out what model of meyers this plow is yet.