1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow manufacturers: How long have they been making plows?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by LLM Ann Arbor, Dec 3, 2006.

1. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

How long has Western, Meyer, Fisher, Boss, Blizzard, Hiniker and Curtis been making plows.

Sorry if I missed any of the popular units.

Im just curious.

Mainly because Im tired of hearing my plow called Cheap, and I believe they have been making them longer than anyone on the planet.
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Meyer=1926 Fisher=1948 Western=1953 Curtis=1969 Boss=1985 Blizzard=1998/99
  3. LLM Ann Arbor

Excellent info Beeb.

Right on and just as I expected.

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

What does the length of time a MFG has been in business, have any thing to do with "QUALITY" of any product????:confused:
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2006
  5. Hunter9

Hunter9 Member

It can still be cheaply made and been in business longer than than another manufacturer. But why would someone call any of those brands "Cheap" I have bought Meyer (7-1/2 poly E60), Western (7-1/2 steel), Sno-way (7-1/2 w/ DP) and most recently a Boss (8' Poly SD) new and I must say none of them was cheap.....not in price or in their quality IMO.
  6. LLM Ann Arbor

Because if Meyer Plows were as cheap and chinsy as people say they are here frequently, they wouldn't have remained in business for 80 years.

It tells me they have a lot of repeat customers. Like I will be one day.

Id never say a Western or Fisher was a cheap unit. They cant possibly be or they wouldn't be in business either.
  7. LLM Ann Arbor

In my opinion its not the plows that are at all questionable. Its the electric package and hook up package. I want to see copper core stainless wrapped better insulated High Dollar wiring. I want to see less of this " pull up and hook up in two seconds without getting out of the truck" crap too.

But they are only responding to what you guys are asking for. Not Me.

If it takes me ten minutes to hook up thats great!

I want simplified wiring harnesses and NO quick disconnect wiring baloney. The guys back in the day NEVER had all this corrosion bullcrap and issues like we have today, and it all gets back to hookin up before your coffee gets cold or hooking up without even having to get our fat butts out of the cab.

Which to me is silly, and begging for reliability concerns, and issues.
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2006
  8. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

White castle, McDonald's both make cheep food and they are still in business.
    There are a lot of co's that make cheep things and a lot of them have been in business long before you were born.

Why are you so worried about what people think about your small plow??
    You should have gotten over that a long time ago....
  9. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

GM, Ford, and Chrysler have been around forever and all three make pretty cheap cars nowadays. Just a thought.
  10. LLM Ann Arbor

While I dont totally believe that, I will add that if they are the way they are a lot of the times its because of greed, and someone else telling them what they need to do to comply with their rules. Not unlike the plow industrys response to our desires. Again I say our but they aren't mine.

Do you think if the feds weren't down the throats of auto makers that the cars would be made the way they are today?

Or because the stockholders are down their throats because of greed and the desire to make 15 points a year on their money, or the CEO's and Execs having to make 10 million a year for golfing and going to dinner parties all while cooking the books for the stockholders while laying off half the workers?

And how many of you have a foreign car for the wife?

We can blame ourselves for a lot of the big threes problems.

SnoFarmer.....your analogies are lame. Plain and simple.
  11. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Simple Yes,:nod: You needed to under stand it..;) .......
  12. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

I fully understand what you're saying, they are only making them cheaper because they are trying to save every red cent that they can. But the fact still remains, they are making less reputable vehicles with a cheaper fit and finish. IMO, the quality has declined significantly.
  13. LLM Ann Arbor

Yep...I agree to a large extent and will be nervous buying a new rig whenever I do. But with the feds clammering to get fuel milage standards up, and everyone needing DVD players and GPS navigation, and wanting to drive some Jetsons esque car in 2007....combined with greed, competition from the Japanese....eh....You see my point.

The knee jerk reaction to build a less that mint heavy duty reliable product is not always 100% the fault of the company that wants to profit.

It is often the end user, and government that has forced their hand longterm. It also has alot to do with,morals and work ethic.

Fact of the matter is. If Meyer built the plow I want to see built and sold, no one but me and a few others would buy it. Im convinced of that, and I know they are.
  14. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

if it makes you feel better i use meyer plows as do 80% of the contractors in this town. personally i do not care what plow anyone uses nor do i care what vehical you drive. also don't care if your wife is american or russian mail order. lets all get along and make some $$ this is not aimed at you llm
  15. Northland

Northland Senior Member

I just sit here and shake my head..... Never changes
  16. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

My thoughts exactly...
  17. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

I don't get this cars and trucks today are made cheaper, then they were before.
    That is outrageous, They are made so much better now then they ever have been.
    I guess most of you are to young to know any better.
    It use to be Cars and Trucks with 100,000 miles, were worn out junk.
    Today they are built to last a lot longer. my 94 has 180,000 miles on it, with the orginal drivetrain thats amazing.
    Old cars and truck would have accidents and there would be little damage on the outside, But the people inside were damaged beyond help.
    Now there built with the passengers saftey in mind.
    There built with crinkle points to fold and give during accidents, a front end collision today sends the shock around the passenger compartment to help protect your loved ones inside.
    Thats why you get rear damage during a hard front end collision.
    You call that cheap that then you got problems, that is by design.

Usally new companys are less experianced, but they also bring new technology to the table, and different idea's.
    I used to have a old Meyer plow, I didnt buy one this time because they didnt offer what I wanted.
  18. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Most plow co. are making both light to heavy duty plows. Same as truck manufacturers. If you buy a light duty plow for commercial use its your mistake.
  19. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I talked to my Blizzard dealer today and he told me that the company that owns Fisher bought the Blizzard company this spring. And now they are the largest plow builder in the country and Meyer is the smallest.
  20. snoking

snoking Senior Member

LLM, if your so worried about people calling your plow cheap you must think so also, otherwise you wouldnt need an answer from us youd know why you like it. but if it makes you feel better meyer does make the best plow, Reason its a brighter yellow than fischer so when parts fall off it or it breaks off your truck you can find it easier in the snow bank.