1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow makes noise when raising and lowering

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by DaySpring Services, Jan 15, 2011.

1. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

My 8'2" has been making noise for about 2 years now, mostly when I raise is sometimes when I lower. It's kinda hard to describe, kind of a crunching or popping noise. When I raise it it makes the sound about 3-5 times. I've pretty much ignored it but am curious what it is.

2. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

I want to say the trip springs.

3. zjm

zjm Senior Member

Maybe some snow or ice wedged in between trip springs and bottom of pump housing.
    I'm just guessing.Crunching and popping doesnt sound like a hydraulic issue

4. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

I have it also. Sometimes worse than others. Sometimes not at all. Hard to describe yes.

5. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Have you checked the fluid level? Or changed it lately?

6. DaySpring Services

Fluid is changed every year. The noise started about 2 years ago. It sounds like a metal popping sound.

7. lesedwards

lesedwards Member

Same Here

I have the same blade and I hear the same noises. I have had my truck up on the hoist thinkig there was a crack in the frame but everything looks good. I had a friend of mine say that it has to be the springs.

8. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Have you checked to make sure the plow frame isn't broke any where? Can you tell if it lifts up different besides the noise?

9. Onebadbowtie86

Onebadbowtie86 Senior Member

Mine also does this. Its not Ice. Its not anything to do with fluid. No cracks anywhere. I'm baffled.

10. lesedwards

lesedwards Member

Ni cracks anywhere, works fine.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like we have a great deal for lack of proper maintenance here. Virtually all creaking, popping groaning or snapping sounds during lift or lower are caused by dry lift cylinder and coupler pins. For wear (and noise) prevention they should be greased at least once a season depending on your annual snow work load.

If you're not sure how to do it or what to use then yours is long overdue. Shame on you guys :D

12. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

Pray tell B&B, with pictures if possible.

13. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

I spray all pivot points with fluid film

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Nothing really difficult enough to require pics.

Pull each pin one at a time; upper lift ram, lower lift ram and each push beam-to-lift tower pins, slather with grease and re-install. Of course pulling the lower ram pin on V isn't as easy since you have to remove a few trip springs to access it first and that's the one that even good maintainers seldom do for that reason. So for that one the initial time remove the lift ram and drill and tap it for a 1/4" grease fitting then it's a 20 second job to grease it from there on out.

Ok maybe just one pic since I thought of this thread while doing one on a new install today. :D

Boss-Zerk install 028.jpg

15. DaySpring Services

I can say I never thought of lubricating that pin! I'll have to spay it down and put a grease fitting in like that this spring! Hopefully that will solve the problem.

16. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

B&B, mine does not even have 50 hours on it yet, and yet it creaks and groans. Comes from the springs.

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not from the trip springs during raise/lower it doesn't. Yes the springs kiss the pump housing once it's fully up but that isn't causing a creak or groan. Lack of grease on the ram and coupler pins or a dry wiper seal in the lift ram causes it.

If the wings creak too (when they're moved) add a touch of FF to each of the spring hooks, that's where wing creak comes from assuming you grease the hinge pin as recommended.

After 50 hours it should have been greased twice by now.

18. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

Of course B&B is correct ... the trip springs do not stretch when you raise or lower the blade so it can't be them making the noise.
    The grease fitting is a nice touch ... I was gonna do that last time I had it apart but the threads on the zerks I had were too long without a bung ... next time. These plows should come with a welded bung and grease fitting at the hinge points then guys might actually grease them. As noted, greasing the bottom pin (and the top pin for that matter) on the V plow can be a pia at -20C.
    The only springs that constantly creak on my VXT are the wing return springs ... and as mentioned, a little FF will take care of it for a while. I keep everything smothered in the stuff and going into the 2nd season it still looks brand new so it's a win win.
    It was touching -30C here the last time I plowed and the VXT was sure making a lot of creaking, crunching and groaning sounds, lol. All went away as the temps warmed up some.