1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Maintenance

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by BlueRam2500, May 19, 2006.

1. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

What are you guys doing for the summer as far as plow maintenance goes? I got my plow yesterday and sprayed it down with an anti-rust lubricant already. Dealer told me to keep the plugs on the plow and truck well greased and cleaned. Any other things I should be doing?

Also, where are you guys storing your plows? Mine will be stored in the garage in the summer and winter except for when it is on the truck. Anyone have any dollies or some sort of moving device that allows them to move the plow around? I purchased some moving dollies but was wondering if anyone has a better idea.

Thank you in advance for your help.
  2. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

there are commercially available plow dollies but they are very expensive. furniture dollies work great...

sounds like the rest of it is good also...
  3. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

here's how i store ours, use a forklift to move them around

4. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

Sweet setup Jay but I don't have the means or space to do that. Mine is sitting on the ground just inside my garage. I already sprayed 3/4 of it with the anti-rust fluid (Fluid Film) and I ran out so as soon as I get more I have to finish the back of the blade and the mount. Figured I would do that before I use it again. Also picked up some brake cleaner and the dealer gave me the dielectric grease so I figured on doing that once a month, especially to the truck connectors. Thank you for the responses.
  5. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

those racks are pimp...mine stays in my driveway...my gerage that i rent is too small, i keep my landscaping equipt. and my contractor tools in there so no room for a plow...it will be at my cuz's house soon he bought a new house and is putting in a big fenced in area for plows skidsteer trailers dump trcuks ect.....

but for stuff getting done to the plow for the summer....i am painting it and gona get new pins for it....might buy a pump and get it rebuilt as a back up
  6. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

What youve done so far should be good for the summer other than paint work, You will want to do a flush and fill in the fall before you put it to work to get any moisture that may have accumulated from condensation over the summer.