1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Looks old and rusty

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by bluejeep, Dec 4, 2005.

1. bluejeep

bluejeep Member
    from IL

My Plow looks old and rusty, what should i use to paint it? Primer 1st? What kind and what brands of paints? thanks!

2. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

sand blast it like heck .... then its up to you .... Rustoleum paint .. spray can or brush ... or if you really want to spruce it up ..... powdercoating is an option .... if you have the money ..... i believe all new plows are powdercoated ..

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Find a place that will sand blast stuff if you don't have the equipment. Spend the whole hour having it done every weld and surface. After it's done spray it down with degreaser and then pressure wash it at a car wash. Inspect all the welds,make sure they are cool,no cracks etc. Let it dry, shoot it with rust primer,then your choice of color.

4. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Use POR 15 hands down, or if your lucky enough like me you may stumble upon a piece of poly to replaced the steel skin....Rob

5. Brett K

Brett K Member

Get it sandblasted and then either por-15 or Eastwood company Rust inhibitor. I used por-15 on my dad's Wetsern a few years ago and it is holding up well. I am in the middle of using the Eastwood product now, which is supposedly a bit more durable than por-15. Iwill know soon enough if that is true.

6. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

I sanded mine completely down, then roughed it up with 36 grit, then used a very thin layer of bondo to smooth al the pitting out. It took forever to sand all the bondo off, to where there was only little bit in onlt the pits. I then coated it with the Meyer snow flo paint. It was worth it as the snow jsut rolls and falls off of it now. No matter what people say if you do prep work right the bondo is jsut as strong as the metal. None of mine has come off in 2yrs