1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow lock

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by BigDave12768, Dec 2, 2006.

1. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

I found out today that some plows were stolen over the summer where I park my plow for the summer. I thought I saw a bar that runs across and locks to stop theft. But I can not find it anywhere. Does anybody know about this. I would hate to have my plow stolen

2. winged1dur

winged1dur Senior Member

3. Bry@n

Bry@n Senior Member

Think about this for a second. If they want it, they will find a way around that lock. The best place is in doors and that isn't even 100% safe anymore.

I have a friend that shares a outside storage place. Like 50 a month for the 2 of them. They keep all the plows, shovels and blowers in them.

4. Embalmer

Embalmer Senior Member

thefts of snow stuff seems to be getting worse every year. there was something on the news the other night of someone brazen enough to steal seven (yes 7) brand new large snow blowers from a lowes store. guy came, grabbed 4 loaded them on a trailer he was towing and left came back later took another 3. And last year know of 4 people that have had their plows/salters taken from their property while they were at work or what ever. Usually seems to be fishers that are taken though, as I really havent heard much about any of the others.

5. BigDave12768

Ofcourse if they want it they will take it. But if I make it a little tougher than just pulling up to it and drive it away I will feel a little better. So if they see a lock maybe they move on to the next plow. You see them everywhere with no locks

6. frehawk

frehawk Junior Member

My Lock

This is how I lock my plow and it works pretty good.:angel: :drinkup:

[​IMG]

7. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Is that so when they tamper with the lock, they drop the .50 cal? I usually throw a pair of handcuffs through the pin holes in mine.

8. frehawk

frehawk Junior Member

Lock

I was thinking about putting something in the holes but was thinking about the spring and leaving in the open position and not having it close all the way when throwing it on the truck. besides I use my cuffs for other things:D

9. Antnee77

from RI

LOL

I never really thought about that. I have always left my pins completely retracted while storing without problems, but now that you mention it...

10. frehawk

frehawk Junior Member

The 308 was just my humor side:D I put the lock under there and I know as soon as the you hook the plow up the weight of it just digs in and you really can't go anywhere (not that I have done this at 3 in the morning :cry: ).

11. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

I did that on Wednesday. I ended up cutting the bar in half, straightening it, & I am putting it back on tomorrow. I think someone could still steal it w/ the lock on but you could follow the rut in the concrete all the way to pick it up.

12. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

I thought that was a good way to lock it also. when a kid came over and said, him and his buddy would just carry it away.
    The kid grab the end of my plow and picked it up over his chest.
    Thats when I relized with his pick-up he could just slide it in the back.

I think I'm going to drive some 8' long rebar in the ground at different angles with my jack hammer.
    weld them together and attach my chain and cable to both that should help protect it.

13. Antnee77

from RI

Sounds like a lot of work. I would try and park your truck between the plow and a wall or garage at night to prevent theft. Of course, keeping it indoors, if at all possible, is the best way to protect it.

14. BigDave12768

Problem is.. I live in a condo. They do not allow me to store my plow here. So I leave it down at my buddies landscape lot. But he moves them to Bridgewater during the summer to another lot that really isnt used. So over the summer a 9ft SS Xblade got ripped off and another plow was stripped. Luckly my plow was down the end and the brush and thorns had taken over my plow so it was not as visable. And its painted silver so maybe it just got passed over as lower end plow. And buy lower end, I mean plows with parts that are not as desired. But I have come up with a great idea for locking my plow. Slide this through the pin hole. That would stop the minute mount process. What do you think of my idea?

[​IMG]

15. Bry@n

Bry@n Senior Member

Not bad but they stripped a plow. That would mean they were there for a while. If they did that, then they could use a cordless sawzall to cut that lock of yours.

It would be a great deterrent but they can still strip parts as well.

16. BigDave12768

Yep if they want it they will take it. I am just trying to stop the minute mount drive away theft.

Do you buy that plow down in NJ of Dtr?

17. Bry@n

Bry@n Senior Member

I think I am going to. I am still waiting for the local guy to tell me what years the truck side frame will fit on. It's nice and in pretty good shape. Nice guy too.

I just have been so busy, I keep forgetting to go to the local guy about the truck frame.

I am either getting the plow or a Western Tornado. Maybe both, I am so torn.
    Then again, a Arctic Cat atv has been calling me...... too many choices to make.:dizzy:

18. MOXIE

MOXIE Member

plow locks

K&M Hyd Service has locks in stock. both mm1 and mm2 $49.95
    781-933-3147

19. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Something like 50 Fishers stolen from a dealership here in my area last fall. Funny thing about it was that whoever did it used that company's forklift to load them. Never heard the outcome, whether the wingnuts got caught.

20. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

yup! and used their trailer to take em!