1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow lock

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sir spaniourd, Oct 15, 2005.

1. sir spaniourd

sir spaniourd Senior Member

I was just wondering if any of you guys have managed to find a device to lock the plow while not in use.
  2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I pull mine right up next to the garage and either leave it on or park right in front of it. If they want it that bad, they can have it.;)
  3. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I have seen guys fabricate devices to prevent pins from locking in place. That does not eliminate the possibility of a few guys lifting it into the back of a truck though. My best advice is to get a good lock that is not easily defeated, (kryptonite or the like go to a bike shop) a good lock will buy time but wont completely stop theft. I dont think plows are in such high demand that people are going to go to great lengths to steal one. They would still need wiring and a mount and dealers are becoming increasingly suspicious of people just looking for mounts.

I would say leave the plow in a hard to see area if it has to be outside, try to park something infront of it and lock the plow to something if you are that worried about it. I have never heard of a situation where somebody went to great lengths to steal a plow at a residential location. If its sitting in an industrial area at night with nobody around I can understand but I doubt anyone would be bold enough to drive into your driveway with a truck and steal your plow. Never heard of it happening. Thiefs will go for much easier items then snowplows.
  4. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

what happened to last years ideas

Just curious, but what happened to last years Ideas?

this is what I found to be the best option:

I put a lock on the mounting pins that way the whole plow can't be engaged if someone tries to drive in and lock the pins.
    also a cover would be great "out of sight, out of mind"
    I still haven't found a cover big enough for the plow. the biggest I found(from a motorcycle) it just covers the head gear.
  5. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

they will most likely just steal the truck and plow if they are that close together. one way or another they will get it.

I have a buddy who lives in a real nice neighbor hood, they stole his truck. 2 weeks later he got his truck back, then a week after that they must have followed him to his GF's house (which is 2 streets away from me) and they stole his truck AGAIN. then 2 weeks later he got it back and then they stole it 3 weeks after that. When he got it back the 3rd time he sold it.

My brothers truck was also stolen in our driveway, he got it back too. And my moms jeep was also stolen and got that back too.

So ya, one way or another they will get what they want, although I dont think plows are that highly demanded upon theives.
  6. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I've been wondering about that myself, I mean if you have a truck set up for a minute mount, couldn't you just drive up to one and take it? I see them laying around all over the place, yet I have never heard of one being stolen. Something worth $2-4000 bucks is definitely worth stealing to somebody, no matter how big it is, and it would have to be easier to get rid of than an actual vehicle. I always hear about people having ATVs, dirtbikes, Harleys and snowmobiles being stolen right out of their yard. I wonder how many of the MMs in the Want Advertiser or on Ebay were acquired in this manner. I like the idea of the bike lock. In my experience it doesnt matter if your lock can be defeated, it's the added difficulty that will make the thief go to the next one and leave yours. Same with houses and cars. There are people out their that can defeat an alarm system, but why take the time when there are many other houses and cars nearby that arent alarmed? In ten years of law enforcement I never saw a residential burglary take place in a house with an alarm or a barking dog. Its just easier to move on to the next house than deal with it.