1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Lock, any Ideas ??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Eyesell, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Hey I've been thinking of a few ways to lock my plow when off my truck sitting in my driveway.
    I just bought a new V and other than putting a lock through the mounting holes or chaining the damm thing to a tree, do you guys have any ideas or pics of what your using.

I know I could always tie two Pit Bulls to it to but I don't have any :blush2:

2. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

pit bulls sounds good LOL

I put a trailer hitch lock through the mount one hole.

but lets face it if they want it they'll get it

3. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

need to see the plow harness first ..

4. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

Actually, I've been doing ALOT of thinking on this one lately.... I was even thinking of going to the extent of putting some sort of "anchor" point "in" the driveway to run a chain through and then connect and bind the plow down to the ground... It would be something that wouldn't be visible except from real close, that way if someone felt like hooking up and going or trying to pick it up, they would have some trouble...

5. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

lock

wire it to 440vt if they try all you will have to worry about is crispy critter's .:angel:

6. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I have been putting a locking hitch pin in mine even with it in the garage the got me once and they an't doing it again.

7. MAR4CARS

MAR4CARS Senior Member

I second the motion was just about to type wire it to an extension cord then i read this ...

8. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

just make a sleeve for the slots and lock em in place

9. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

you might reconsider the 440 unless you post a sign , ur liable for injuries , even from a theif

and 110 kills more than 220 and 440 .... 110 makes you grab and hold on.... 440 just thorws you back on your butt

10. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

unless they had bolt cutters to get through the chain...

11. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

big chain like aircraft cariier ancor chain ,

12. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

Someone on here posted soemthing with a ling to an ebay abction (might have been you eyesell) with a guy who made a lockable bar that went through all the mounting holes on the plow making it impossible to just hook it up and go.

13. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Ya Know...those plow locks aren't all that you would expect them to be. I used one once, a year later I wanted to rebuild the pump, the salt wrecked it so bad there was no way to unlock it. A couple good hits w/ a 3 lb hammer and a cold chisel...and whala !!

Don't rely on that cheap crap cuz I'm sure the thieves know it as well...:gunsfiring:

14. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

i made one for my fisher will take pics in morn

15. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Locks will only keep the basically honest people honest... a real thief will get it anyways.

That being said, the real trick is deterrants... Chains and locks, painted very visible florescent paint (so your plow doesn't get destroyed by someone hooking up and trying to drive away).. heck post a big warning sign saying they are electrified and run a heavy bright orange extension cord somewhere under the cover of the plow, and the other end under the door of your garage... does someone really want to touch it to find out if its really alive? :p Best bet is to always have it blocked in somewhere so its not as visible and no one can drive up to it.... a sturdy gate and fence, another vehicle, loader bucket, etc.

Knock on wood I haven't lost any equipment yet, but I also live in the country...

16. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I've got a sign in my yard.

"Smile, You're on Camera"

17. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

Actually, now that I think about it..... I should be all set should someone decide to steal my plow... I'll just drive around and look for someone else around here with a Curtis. Since I'm the only one in New England with one, It should be easy to find..... :jester:

18. Runner

Runner Senior Member

LOL...yeah, that orange stands out, doesn't it?
    But my suggestion was going to be just a nice thick chain wrapped around the A frame.

19. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

winter i leave my plow on... so if someone wants it they have to take the truck with it. spring summer and fall while they are off the trucks i pin both plows togather.

being a Business why would you take it off during the winter?

20. tonybands

tonybands Member

"the club"

I use the club that you would use on a steering wheel. It works great, and has withstand the test of a 16# sledge. Easy on and easy off. Plus if you catch someone trying to steel your plow, you can beat them with itwesport