1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Liner

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by milkie62, Sep 16, 2003.

1. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

Has anyone used the plastic plow covers.Do they make the snow slide any better than a new paint job ?

2. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Poly Plow Liners

The snow certainly does come off the plow alot easier to answer you question.
    I've installed a few mostly on older plows that had a really bad front surface on the moldboard.
    But I have to say not the easiest to install with the the adhesives and small screws that retain it along the top and sides, almost a two person job.
    If your going to install one do it when the weather is still warm so the poly material is really flexible so you can clamp it down without a lot of pressure until the adhesive cures.
    And you'll need to remove your cutting edge to mount it on the bottom so get yourself new bolt kit too.
    :rolleyes: John............

3. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

I've used them & it was definitely easier than fixing\repainting. I posted details & pics before if you want to do the search. I didn't use any screws on the tops & sides though. Don't use a cheap adhesive & it will last longer. Good luck!

4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

The problem is that they really make the plow rust faster. You are now trapping moisture between the shield and the steel moldboard.

To me the best answer if the structure of the plow is sound then replace the steel moldboard. A good shop can cut the old one out and weld a new sheet in for much less then a new blade. When I did the one on my 6.5 Fisher I even went up to a thicker guage steel and did all the repairs needed for very little. The materials are very cheap and really not a huge amount of labor.

5. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

That's a good point. If you are going to bother, you have to repair the rusted areas before installing the poly shield, then seal it so no moisture can get in. I didn't have any further rusting when I did it (at the time of taking the shield off), and I think I posted about that in the detailed posts I had done here about it.