1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow lights

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by chris15010, Aug 14, 2007.

1. chris15010

chris15010 Junior Member

has anyone ever tried powering your plow lights from your rear 4 wire trailer harness? i'm curious if this would work i don't really want to start butchering my trucks wiring but i am not sure if this would work without melting something internally just an idea that i had.

Chris

2. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

as an aux back up light ? i've seen this little light the plugs into any 4 way connector claims to give off enought light to light 100 feet i believe . northern tool sells them , however i saw them in my local advance a few weeks back there an switch on the side for mannual turn the light on . or comes on when turn her down into reverse

3. chris15010

chris15010 Junior Member

no i mean to power your low beams parking and turn signals the more i think about it the more i don't think it will work since stop turn and tail are all one wire on the rear harness oh well it was an idea anyways

4. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

oh yeah i don't think there any other way around that other then cutting and tapping into the harness if do a good job and solder the connections and wrap them tright with tape you should have anyproblems . i think even witht he newer plows with the modules you still need to tapped into vehicel power

5. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Chris ???? WHY ???
    Your adding 10 - 15 feet of wire plus load to a socket that has a lower rating to run marker lites. Bad mistake use the kits that the manufactures spent tons of time on to get the most out of your rig. Even then the load on the systems during a storm exceed the rating requirements. Your not going to chop the wire harness your going to alter it...

6. chris15010

chris15010 Junior Member

i know i know i realized that after i thought about it more

7. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

Plow Lights?

I have My Plow lights on a Seperate Switch--as I Run just My Parking & Marker lights when Plowing my Plow Lights & 2 Rotators One on My Roof & another on the Rear of My Bed are On a Seperate Switch--as My Blizzard is Run by the Electrical System--& w/ My HD Alternator the Seperate System works for ME!--as I Do SEE a lot of New Truck w/Every Light Burning--lights in their Bumpers Head & Plow lights --over Taxing their Electrical Sysytem? soon to become a Problem??--as w/every thing ON!--Head Lights--Bumper Lights--Plow Lights--Heater--Wippers--& Warning Lights--Scanner & CB Radio?--Way to Much in My Opinion??--OleTower--