1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow lights

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by White Oak, Nov 22, 2005.

1. White Oak

White Oak Member

I have a 1991 Meyer plow light set up it has the newer rectangle lights. They don't seem to be very bright anybody know where I can get brighter replacement bulbs do they make them?
  2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I think they are just a regular auto bulb. If so, go to your local auto parts store and look for a brighter buld. I have the same problem my Meyers plow lights are pretty weak. I am seriously thinking of just getting the new Sabre lights and be done with it. Or if they are that bad check your grounds they may have a lot of corrosion on them.
  3. White Oak

White Oak Member

thansk for the reply I was considering doing that very thing but was unsure if anyone else has been able to find brighter bulbs?
  4. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Our local parts stores carry about three different grades of lights... the best being about 3x the price of regular. They claim to be brighter--has anyone tried them? I'm like a set if they are but don't wanna drop $60 on headlight bulbs I don't need if they aren't really any better....
  5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I take it they are the square headlights not the new style? You have the old style truklite wrap around turn signal?
    If you get the glass replacements use some high heat gasket sealer and seal the edges (between glass & housing) and around the plug/housing. They are not sealed real well and water gets forced into the light housing and pops the bulb. Been there had one pop.
  6. wagonman76

wagonman76 Senior Member

At Walmart you can get high output GE bulbs, if you have the full replaceable headlights. The part number has HO at the end. I tried them and they are quite a bit brighter. I did get a bad one though, I thought it was due to vibration but I found it was a bad bulb. Get them at the parts store and youll get higher quality parts.
  7. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

The square lights are plastic and I wouldn't want to replace with a glass one. If you replace with the glass ones then you risk snapping the housing off with the extra weight. Also the plastic Wagner lights are warrenteed....Rob
  8. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

9. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

I would recommend replacing them with glass if you do higher speed plowing like roadways or lots with longer runs because the plastic doesn't hold any heat the snow will stick to the face of the bulb and make it seem like the lights aren't working at all or very well. The glass bulbs get and stay warm so that the snow melts and falls off much better than the plastic.:drinkup: