1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Lights

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by UpstateDzlGuy, Nov 20, 2005.

1. UpstateDzlGuy

UpstateDzlGuy Senior Member

I have a 2004 MMII on my 2004 F-350 and have concluded that the lights still stink. I have found sealed beam SilverStars and Bright Blues. however I don't know if they will be the answer. Would it be possible to mount the light bar(running and dirrectionals) and headlights from a Boss on the Fisher's? Just thinking out loud here. Chris

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

I dont see why i wouldnt work. I dont know if you need anything special from boss for the HID lights. If not you could just use the fisher harness and run it right into the lights and make the wire connections in the lights themselves.

I will pop over to boss' site and try and figure out if they use anything special for the HID.

3. UpstateDzlGuy

That's exactly what I was thinking. I don't know about the HID's, but even their standard lights are bright. This might be a project after a few storms finances are available to use.

4. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

It may be possible to retrofit your own HID lights into the existing Fisher lights. If you can find a place to mount the ballasts, it may be possible. Maybe using a kit from Xtec or something similar.

5. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Personally and I'm sure some will agree it's not how bright they are it's how high off the ground that stinks, and we know that’s unavoidable. When it's snowing hard, that snow just rushes at you. O that snow I'm visualizing it now.

Can you tell I can't wait! lol

6. JSLandscaping

JSLandscaping Junior Member

Would it be possible to flip the mounting of the lights so they hang down from where they are mounted instead of standing up? This would set them a little lower, possibly better for white out conditions. I have the MM1 and the lights are horrible, can bearly see anything at all while plowing. Was thinking about adding another set of extra lights on it, or upgrading the bulbs if possible. Any ideas or suggestions?

James
    JS LANDSCAPING

7. UpstateDzlGuy

This is where I am at. I am leaning towards higher powered blue sealed beams for the factory mount. I know that the blue light is much more effective in snow, especially heavy snow. They seem to work to illuminate the area without reflecting off of the snow like white light.

8. KenG

KenG Senior Member
    from MA

OK, here's what I tried/am trying to do:

I bought these from JC Whitney http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Search?catalogId=10101&storeId=10101&sku=ajt495314

I also bought H3 halogen "foul weather" bulbs from them.

When I took out my Fisher bulb, I remembered it has that odd style plug (HP6545). I would have to solder in a new connector. No big deal.
    The other problem is the way the plastic Fisher bulbs are retained in the face plate/bezel. The 4 tabs that hold the bulbs in have nothing to grab on the Pilot-brand lights. They were meant to be retained from the front, and are stepped different at the rear of the housing.

Still, could be done, but I dont know if I have the patience. I'm thinking about buying another set of aftermarket lights that use a normal H6054 bulb. There are plenty of plug-in bulbs that would upgrade them easily.

(This was all tried on my MM1 Fisher. I'm not sure if the newer headlights are the same)

9. UpstateDzlGuy

I am almost positive that they are the same. I would be willing to try them. I bet I could find someone to machine a plate to go between the bezel and the lens such that the Fisher clips could hold them in place. That is the best lookin possibility so far. Let me know if you try it, maybe we can brainstorm something up. Chris

10. Antnee77

from RI

So the idea is to stay with Halogen, but replace the lense with one that projects more light and replace the bulb with something better?

11. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I was planning on the same thing for mine this season for the same reasons, I was also thinking about mounting some amber low profile "fog" lights under the plow headlights (or on the top of the rail in between the plow headlights) since amber doesn't reflect as bad either.

12. vwmurph

vwmurph Member
    from Maine

I have also been thinking of trying to retrofit new lenses into my MM1. I was gonna use Hella Lenses with a halogen bulb. I don't know if they will have the same mounting problems as the ones from jc whitney. Does the MMII use the same headlights?

13. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Consider using glass lenses intead of the plastic if you can. The plastice doesn't retain any of the heat and snow(espicially when plowing streets etc...) sticks to the lenses. The plastic it will stay there indefinitely but with the glass it will melt and fall off. Just something to consider.

14. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

I have the night sabre Meyer lights and have upgraded to the sylvania silverstars....9003st, and they are a lot brighter than stock bulbs. However. I am in the middle of installing a set o9f KC Hilite 55 watt daylighter long range driving lights just below the sabres on the downpost/tower.

I plan on angling them down, rather towards the driving surface.

I think all plow lights are a drag just because of the way they need to set them up by Law because of the turn signals.

Two plow lights, and two side markers on my unit and I counted like 40 wires that are needed to make it happen.

Now my turn signals are plainly visable with my blade up, and all my other auxiliary lights get it done with four or five wires total.

Bottom line is the 40 bux I spent on new bulbs for these sabres is the only money Ill ever spend on them. I like them if they work, but if they dont I have the other lights to use.

In my life I have never seen a piece of equipment as weird and unreliable as a snow plow.

Mines sorted out now but FFS.....

15. UpstateDzlGuy

Are these factory Lights with the Meyers Plows? I mean they sell a composite setup rather than a sealed beam? If that is the case I would be willing to try that. I like the looks of that conversion kit from JCWhitney as well. Just looking for some brighter lights. Chris

16. KenG

KenG Senior Member
    from MA

This is a Meyer Night Sabre headlamp. http://www.centralparts.com/ProductDetails11236.aspx

They are a composite-style light. I thought about getting some, but they are really pricey, and say "MEYER" right on top. That would kind of bother me, on my Fisher. It shouldn't, since they are better lights than what I've got, but it would.

17. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

It does melt off, just a bit slower than a hot glass lens.Anyone with a MM1 has plastic lenses. I wish I could find a glass replacement for the sealed beams which one could use H4's or such instead of the normal sealed beam.

18. KenG

KenG Senior Member
    from MA

I was looking at a Sylvania catalog today and think I found out what we can use.

It seems that H4666 supercedes the HP6545 bulb that my Fisher lights have. Thankfully, Sylvania makes upgrade bulbs in this size, and they have the correct 2E1 connector.

Cool Blue H4666 CB
    Silverstar H4666 ST
    Xtra Vision H4666 XV

These are all sealed halogen units (no replaceable bulbs), but it looks like a good upgrade to me.

***NOTE*** I haven't actually held any of these in my hands yet, so I cant verify that they will fit correctly in a Fisher housing. I will be ordering some tomorrow, so I'll let you all know as soon as I get them in. Any suggestions on which ones would be best??

Last edited: Nov 29, 2005
  19. vwmurph

vwmurph Member
    from Maine

I have the Silverstars in mine. They do make a difference. Though I still want to try putting the Hella Lenses in mine with halogen bulbs.

20. Antnee77

from RI

I would go with the Silverstars if I had the choice between the three. The ultimate is to retrofit HID lights in your plow lights.