1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow lights

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by EIB, Sep 27, 2003.

1. EIB

EIB Senior Member

I have a Western MVP is about three years old. I would like to get more light out front. Has anybody else upgraded their plow lights?

2. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

EIB, There was a long discussion on this last spring. If you do a search you will find all kinds of alternatives from different bulbs to insert bulbs that can help improve the light quality. Jerre

3. EIB

EIB Senior Member

Jerre,

I searched under plow lights, only two items came up. Do you know what key words I need to bring the other thread up.

Everett

4. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

5. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Everett, I checked Ricks search and did not find it. You may want to search under Lights. It was pretty lengthy. The glass bulbs will give a cleaner light than the plastic but weigh more. You can get Bright light versions and Xenon Versions of most bulbs at parts stores now. There is also a replacement housing that will accept the newer replacement bulbs but the Glass face cracks due to the hight heat and snow hitting them. Know from experience cause I have a set. The light is much brighter though.

Auto Zone or Advance auto for them. Jerre

6. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

Has anyone just got rid of the lights and mounted a off road driving light with a small directional light beside it? On my Fisher the lights are junk. All cracked from the shaking I guess. Inned new lights so I'm going to give it a shot.

7. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Do you guys usually plow (in a parking lot) with your lights on? or do you just use them for transport?

I usually turn off my headlights, and leave my parking lights on. I can usually see fine (if I can't obviously, I turn them on) and it saves electrical power for the pump, Does anyone else do this, or am I the only one?

8. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

I do the same thing for the same reason. I shut the defroster off when using the pump like when doing a clean up. Never had a problem with the battery or the alternator but it must help.

9. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

A couple places we do allow us to turn on the overhead lights, even in the middle of the night, to allow for plowing. We keep the marker lights on as well as strobes for safety. A secondary benefit is reduced glare and blinding from one truck to another.

10. tigerx5

tigerx5 Junior Member

Boss plow lights are available with an HID option. It would take some retrofitting but nothing is brighter.