1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow lights wiring

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by NOLUCKJUSTBADLU, Dec 14, 2008.

1. NOLUCKJUSTBADLU

NOLUCKJUSTBADLU Junior Member

hi there my fellow plowers........... I have been plowing for more then 25 years, my problem now is i have purchased a used western unimount 7.5 plow system for my 2001 dodge ram 1500 4x4 xcab the problem i'm having is locating the trucks headlamp relay for the plow lights. Looking at the instructions by western i have a complete wire harness, but seemt o think i'm missing something for hooking up the lights.
    Can any body either send me it the right direction of where this is located or even better if you have a plow installed on a 2001 dodge, could you send me some pictures of how you wired your?
    I'm very old schooled and don't want to spend $500.00 to have this installed on my truck.

So please help me, my plow lights are not working....

Thanks
    dennis
    noluckjustbadluc@aol.com

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

What hareness do you have?

Large square box with 3 or 4 harness coming our to it or harness with a group of relays?

3. NOLUCKJUSTBADLU

Hi,
    thanks for replying...... The harness i have has 1 large square plug with other wires coming off it and has a 6 pin plug for a cab controller. You have mentioned relays? Attached to the harness? This i don't have with my harness.... Here is what i have the harness with solenoid and wires that attach to battery........also the large plug harness that goes frome truck to plow frame lights and pump...... I have no relays on the harness. I'm a new member to plow site.com was going to add a picture, but guess i can't? Anyway i think we are talking about the same harness. The relays you are talking about, if they do attach to the harness i have? What are either the part#'s i need and do these relays plug into my trucks fuse box under the hood? Which is where some how i think all this goes for the plow lights...... The cab end of harness i have connected already including the battery end of harness....
    Thanks for any help you can give me.......dennis

4. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

The relay harness he is talking about would have a bunch of female connectors hooked to nothing if the relays are not there. They would be attached to the 9 or 11 pin plug depending on what you have. Like this... Also, the plows headlight harness would also go to those relays... You dont actually plug them into the truckl persay. You use the headlight harness to go from the factory headlight plug at the lights to the relays then to the lights themselves.

wireing.JPG

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  5. NOLUCKJUSTBADLU

Hi,
    thanks for replying.......this is the wireharness i have, but i do not have the relays your talking about. Do you know where i can get them or what there part#'s might be. I have been looking on the western site, but can seem to find these relays.

Thanks for your help

6. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Your going to need more than just a few relays, there is also a power wire with 2 inline fuses, jumper wire, wire with diode. Your best bet is to head to a Western dealer with what you have in hand and have them finish putting all the parts with it.