1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow lights, truck lights, or both?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by birddseedd, Nov 8, 2011.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

in another thread i was getting help hooking up my lights and it was reccommended to have either the truck lights or plow lights on at a time.

my pcm couldent handle both. i ended up using relays and pulling directly from the battery, using the trucklight wires to activate the relays. works great.

but im courious what others prefer, do you have your truck lights on with plow lights or just plow lights.

my plow lights shine about 10 feet in front of the truck which is great. but the truck lights seem to shine right in front of the plow when its down. so i was planning on leaving them on when plowijg for more light. might even turn on my fog lamps this year.

2. Shoreline

Shoreline Member

I only use the plow lights on my truck. Too much glare off the plow itself with the truck lights on when driving at night.

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

On the new style Western isolation module systems they all switch the vehicle headlights off when the plow is attached. As said above the glair reflecting back off the blade of the plow impairs your vision when driving with the plow up on the highway between jobs. Also note that the isolation module doesn't actually redirect the headlamp power but just uses it to trigger relays that send battery power out to the lights. I suspect that there would be too much voltage drop over the extended lengths of wire added by the plow harnesses.

4. birddseedd

How does it turn off the truck lights?

5. mishnick

The headlight plug has a pair of pins that loop back through the plug and then go to ground. If the plow lights are plugged in then it completes a curcuit that activates the isolation module relays which simply switch the truck headlights off and the plow lights on.

The original headlight plugs are actually disconnected from the bulbs and plugged into the headlamp harness which detours power back to the isolation module to trigger either the high or low beam relays. Depending on wheather or not the plow is connected this original headlamp signal tells the isolation module to send power either to the truck lights or plow lights.

Both the three and four port isloation modules do exactly the same thing. The only difference is that the four port has a harness for each headlight (right and left) while the three port has a single headlight harness that has two branches like a Y, one long leg for the nearest headlight and one long leg for the other side. And since you can't switch the single headlight port there is a configuration plug that allows you to ensure your right signal goes to the right plow light and the left to the left plow light.

6. birddseedd

so just so i understand. it has a moduel that you unplug your headlight harness, plut the headlight harness into the modeul, then plug that moduel into your bulb?

7. mishnick

That's right, the headlight power is detoured to the module and then sent back to either the plow lights or truck lights.

8. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

I have an older Unimount with the relay system, I plow with my plow lights, truck lights get switched off any time the plow is plugged in.

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I run plow lights only when my plow is up but both when the plow drops.

10. birddseedd

well. finaly drove at night. glare isent gonna be an issue on my dodge. i caint even see the plow...