1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow lights to toggle and floor dimmer

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by larold83, Jan 1, 2009.

1. larold83

larold83 Senior Member

ok guys need ur help i am feeling pretty dumb today i just replaced my old western plow lights with new 2b1 balbs ok i turned the truck on to see if they worked and only the low beam came on and they were pretty dim so i poped the hood to check out the wireing situation and it looks like a rats nest they just hard wired them in they never used a harness instead of spending ours straitening out this mess i want to hook the lights up to a toggle switch that should take half the time i already have the plow light switch to turn them off and gose back to regular lights but i want to some how use a switch were they are not conected to my regular lights at all so i can power them on and maybe put a floor dimmer switch for high and low beam if this sounds like it can be done or if you have any other ideas on the situation please leave some feedback thank you

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

3. larold83

larold83 Senior Member

well i have a 85 with dual headlights so do you think that i should just redo whats there what i had in mind was justhooking the head lights of the plowto a toggle switch and to a floor high low switch

4. Crash935

85 with dual bulbs would be a GM. I dont know what your starting with so i dont know if starting over will be easier for you. The schematics i listed make it really easy on the GM's. Your harness for the headlights run over the drivers side innner fender liner and is a good place to make a splice to go back to a switch. Look at the schematic and see if it makes sense to you.

5. larold83

larold83 Senior Member

i looked at the schematic and i can leave the turns in tact and i might be able to pull it off but my wires are so faded i don't know whats color is for what unless someone can find the wire diagram for these older setups

6. inknthread

inknthread Junior Member
    from Ohio

Western will be glad to sell you hundreds of dollars worth of harness and they might even get it right the first time. God know after 3 tries they didnt with me. The easiest cleanest wat I've found is to get a 4 wire trailer kit from say aut zone or walmart for about $15.00 a three position toggle switch two ons one off. You use the short side on the vehicle side even though you have to extend all wires. 4 wires 1 ground 1 running lights 1 high beam 1 low beam. Power broken by key goes to center of switch pick a color 1 for high beam 1 for low beam 1 for running it also goes to center where power is. This way running lights are on when truck is running. this won't give you turn signals up top, but for about $20.00 and an hour or two of you time your down. By the way use the trailer connector right by the pump area so it is easy to connect and disconnect as needed. just as fast as a western connection when done. Keep it greesed with dielectric greese to keep it from corroding. In som places you can even get covers for the 4 flat connectors. Worked great for me for 4 years with no problem. I had an older set up and had it wired like this. Now I have a 2002 dodge with a unimount and a wiring harness from a 1999 ford f-250 hooked everything up but the lights. Cut the harness by the lights taped off one end. wired the other. This was after 2 weeks of trial and error by western local and the factory swearing they could get it right.Took back $400.00 in harnesses and fixed it for $25.00 Good Luck Roger 330-219-8295

7. larold83

larold83 Senior Member

so your saing just get a trailer wireing kit and a switch that has a on spot a acc spot and a off spot please correct me if i'm wrong but i was just goig to keep the turn signals connected with the truck turns

8. inknthread

inknthread Junior Member
    from Ohio

I've done this twice now. I use a 3 position switch from auto zone 2 on's 1 off. Usually the center is off I attach the high beam to the up position and the low beam to the down position. I tap in for power off the running lights, so that when ever I turn on the lights if gives power to the plow lights when connected. I only turn the light switch in the truck to the firsty position so that both sets of headlights are not on at the same time witch in most states I believe not leagal. You might have to put a larger fuse in for the running lights, my 2002 dodge had a 10 amp fuse I changed it to a 15 amp and no problems. I use the trailer wiring because of the nice disconnect that you are able to make at the front of the truck for plow removal. The turn signals you can just use the truck lights for,

9. larold83

larold83 Senior Member

i still don't understand how you get power to the switch can you explain more or pics or draw it on word art

10. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Here's what you do. You'll need 2 relays, buy a spool of red, a spool of yellow, a spool of black, a spool of blue, a spool of brown, a spool of green in 10 to 14 gauge wiring, bunch of connectors, 2 fuse holders with 10 amp fuses, 3 way switch, 2 sets of 6 pin connectors and some Fluid Film.

We'll use red for the low beams, yellow for high
    Run connect the two fuse holders directly to the + post of the battery, splice red onto one, the yellow onto the 2nd holder, run the red to PIN 30 of one relay, yellow to PIN 30 of the other relay.
    Connect PIN 85 on both relays with black wire to the - post of the battery.
    Find a wire from the parking light circuit, using blue wire tap it and run it to the supply side of the 3 way switch, run a red wire from the lower side of the switch to PIN 86 on on the low beam relay, yellow wire from the top side of the switch to PIN 86 on the high beam relay.
    Connect 2 wires (red and yellow respectfully) from PIN 87 on each relay to a position on the 6 pin connector, find and tap the parking light (using blue wire) and turn signal circuits (green for drivers side, brown for passenger side) and run them to pins on the 6 pin connector and choose another pin for the ground (black wire) straight to the battery.
    The 6 pin connectors now become your plow light connectors, you'll have to determine which wire controls what on the plow side and connect it to the other half of the 6 pin connector.

Sounds more confusing than it really is, the benefit to using the relays is less load on the factory light system and using heavier gauge wire will result in brighter lights.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  11. Crash935

These other guys are making it to difficult (sorry guys),

Your 85 doesnt need to be ramped up with relays. the easiest way is to use the meyer schematics i posted.

Like i said, the lighting wires are in a loom running over the inner fender. If i remeber right the light green and dark green wires are the high and low beam wires (check with a test light) cut the wires and on the side that you cut closest to the firewall you will add wire and feed them back to the cab and to the center terminals on the switch. Then take 4 wires from the remaining terminals on the switch, 2 wires from one end of the switch will go back to the factory wires that you cut closet to the front of the truck, the other 2 wires on the other end of the switch will go to the high and low beam wires for the pow lights. Just remember to keep the low beams on one side of the switch and the high beams on the other.

12. festerw

festerw Senior Member

No offense taken, I agree your way is easier. I'm just partial to relays and I've wired enough for it to be easy for me but most of the stuff I've done is on newer vehicles my 92 being the oldest.

13. larold83

larold83 Senior Member

ok guys heres the deal i just went ahead and redid all the conections one by one so they wouldn't get messed up and well they still don't work thelights are alot brighter but i still don't have high beams and i wonder if the switch hat flips from plow lights to truck light would that work for what inknthread is telling me to do or not

14. Crash935

did you check the dimmer switch?

15. larold83

larold83 Senior Member

checked every thing my driver side marker light is on either i just need a good easy way to hookem up thats not diffucult i got tons of wire and connectors so please the myers thing isn't gonna cut it i need the truck lights and plow lights on different circuts not switch by a switch i want a toggle to cut the power to my truck lights but keep the markers and turns and a way to turn on my plow lights for high and low beam please need it detailed oh and no relays please

16. inknthread

inknthread Junior Member
    from Ohio

Feel free to call my cell 330-219-8295 Roger

17. trustyrusty

trustyrusty Senior Member

My first plow was a 87 Chevy 1/2 ton and I put an old Western cable plow on it. The harness and mount that came with the plow was for a 89 Chevy, so I built my own mount and wired the lights myself. I took power (fused) straight off the positive post on the battery, ran it to a 3 position on-off-on switch on the dash (down low where it isn't noticable). From one of the posts on the switch that is hot in the up position I ran down and powered a floor dimmer. From there I ran two wires, one for high beam and one for low beam, from the floor dimmer to the lights, with a disconnect of course. Then from the other post that is hot in the up position I ran a little jumper to the matching post on the switch that is hot in the down position and ran a wire from there to the park lights on the plow, also with a disconnect. That way the park lights on the plow burn in both on positions, but don't feed the headlights in the down position. Then I spliced into the right hand and left hand turn signals, ran through a disconnect and hooked them up accordingly. My plow was an older Western and the lights stay on the vehicle even with the plow removed, so with this setup the turn signals on the plow flash all the time. Other than that, I just pull out my OEM switch to the first notch when plowing, illuminating the tail and park lights on the truck, and use the switch for the plow lights, up being headlights and park lights, down being park lights only, with center off. I even went a step further and got a flush mount blue dash light, drilled a hole in the back of the left hand headlight housing, and mounted it wired to the high beam circuit, giving me a high beam indicator. The only place I compromised the truck wiring harness was for the turn signals. I ran everything with color coded wire and used different types of connectors for each wire, so that I can take the plow mount off for the summer to get rid of the plow lights and then be able to hook it all back up right come fall. Call me a redneck, I know it is compared with our modern setups, but it was VERY EASY and has worked flawlessly for years.

18. larold83

larold83 Senior Member

ok i figured out a new way i have to 6 prong switch that flipped from truck lights to plow lights i want to use that for high and low beam and i wanna run another switch in conjuction with that one that will power them on and off to control the truck lights on and of i am just going to pull the headlight switch out till the running lights are on and then i can flip the power switch for the plow lights and if i want the truck lights on all i have to do is flip the power switch off and pull the headlight switch on the truck all the way outthen i got truck lights i think this way is more simpler if i can use the 6 prong switch for this purpose. well anyhow last night a tore out the western harness to start this project all i did was disconected it from the headlights and put the original harness back on and son on now all i have is the top headlights and not even marker lights any ideas

19. Crash935

So now you have a western cross harness in there also?

20. trustyrusty

trustyrusty Senior Member

I say forget the plow altogether and resplice your OEM truck harness back together until the truck lights work as they should, then follow my instructions step by step after that. The six pole switch you have should work and the way my lights work is exactly like you want yours to, using the existing truck switch for the truck lights and the six pole switch for the plow lights. I just wish your truck was here at my shop, I think we could have it going in an hour. LOL! I know wiring problems can be frustrating, though, so just keep your chin up.