1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

PLOW Lights not working

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Rob79, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Rob79

Rob79 Junior Member
    from PA

I just finished hooking up a meyer plow on my 88 chevy 1500. The plow lights will not work. I ordered the light adapter for the truck lite plow lights. When I tested the lights nothing would work.(The plow lights or the truck lights) It also would make noise and spark from the factory truck headlight switch. I just bought this setup and I do not know if the lights worked prior to me hooking them up. Please help. Email jesrob@verizon.net

2. C.Solan

C.Solan Junior Member

See if the blue and yellow wires from the harness are being pinched. I had the same problem with a '97 f250

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  3. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

unhook the plow harness from the lights. plug the factory wiring back in. do they work now?
    wrong harness possibly.

4. Rob79

Rob79 Junior Member
    from PA

When the factory wiring is in the truck headlights work just fine. The problem is when you plug the adpters in and try to hook up the plow lights. These are the truck lite withe the 12 wire harness and the correct adapter for the hb3/hb4 headlights. Nothing works at all, everything gets dim and the truck headlight switch sparks. Meyer support said everyhting should work from the 04 f250 to the 88 chevy 1500 except for the light adapter.

5. no lead

if things are sparking you have the wrong adapter i think. sounds like pos /neg are backward. i would think it would blow the fuse though. does the adapter plug in 2 ways? as in flip over?

6. Rob79

Rob79 Junior Member
    from PA

There is only one adapter with these headlights for this year truck. The adapter were marked right and left from the factory. Could the harness be bad. I do not know what else to do.

7. no lead

harness problem for sure.

you seek crash935.

8. Rob79

Rob79 Junior Member
    from PA

Does anybody know the difference between the 6 & 12 wire harness. Could I use the 6 wire.

9. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

What adaprtor # did they give you?

10. Rob79

Rob79 Junior Member
    from PA

Part #07044. I tried again today. Same results. Factory truck switch smokes and sparks. No lights at all. I have the 12 wire harness. Whats the difference with that and the 6 wire. I really need some help.

11. beam

beam Senior Member
    from pa

does it have daytime running lights?????

12. Rob79

Rob79 Junior Member
    from PA

No drl, It as an 88 1500.

13. beam

beam Senior Member
    from pa

make sure it has a good ground also

14. Rob79

Rob79 Junior Member
    from PA

I tried to ground to the frame and than tried that battery. Both with the same results

15. Crash935

You have the right adaptor. The differance between the 6 wire and 12 wire is 6 less wires!

Big help aint I?

The 6 wire basically picks up the signal from the truck from just one side (usually the drivers side) and then sends the signal back out to both headlights on the same circuit.

The 12 wire takes the signal from the truck from both sides, keeps them seperate back to the switch and sends them back out seperate.

Make sense?

I'm working on the rest of the problem.

16. Rob79

Rob79 Junior Member
    from PA

Could it be possible the harness is bad or the lights or both. I just want to make sure what the problem is before I purchase another harness or lights.

17. Crash935

Anything is possible, dont get carried away spending $$ yet, were just getting started here!!

You any good with a test light?

Might have to take this to a phone since your not up there on post or your 10 days probation yet> Have problem calling me or me calling you?

18. Rob79

Rob79 Junior Member
    from PA

Do you want to give me your email? I left my email in the first post. I will give you my number through email.

19. Crash935

Youve got mail

20. Crash935

Robbie,

If you read this before you head out give me a call, think i have it figured out.