1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Lights Not Working

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mjmstaff, Dec 25, 2003.

1. mjmstaff

mjmstaff Member

Just hooked up my New "Used" Plow yesterday and the lights are not working. I have turn signals and the truck light go out when I hook up the harness but the plow lights never come on. After checking the bulbs I desided to see if anyone out there can pin point this for me. I am sure this has happens to others. Thanks

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Got to give more info like what year & model truck.
    What plow and how old is it? Does the harness plug into the trucks or did you have to solder some of the wires in?
    Switch in cab may have wires off or be bad too.

3. mjmstaff

mjmstaff Member

Not sure what year the plow is but it is a uni-mount. The truck is a 95 Dodge Ram and the harness plugged in. Not sure if it matters but is a hand held control.

4. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

How about good ground between plow light and light tower? Twist them while slightly tight. Could be plow light change over switch in cab.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2003
  5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Might try looking at all your junction blocks in the harness. Separate them and shine a flashlight in them see if you have corrosion. Put "dielectric tuneup" grease in any plug you take apart on a plow truck. It keeps out water and keeps the corrosion to minimum. Look at the wires at the back of the plugs a lot of times this is where wires rot out. Also the newer stuff has harnesses / adapters to mate the plow to the truck. If the plow came off say a newer Chevy with daytime lights and you are putting it on a Dodge this could be your problem. The guys here will figure it out. All else fails you could begin checking each wire for power etc. Most of the plow companies have web sites that you can download manuals and diagrams.

6. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

did you grease everything up ?

7. mjmstaff

mjmstaff Member

Everything was greased. I plan on doing more work on it tomarrow to locate the problem. Thank you everyone for your advise.

8. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

mjm,,,,the dodge takes a relay to switch from the truck lights to the plow lights. Make sure if you have it that 1} it is connected correctly and "clicking" ( working ) and if not ( or dont have ) you install it. Alot of times when people sell used plows they dont include > everything< you need. :eek: You can go to most manufacturers web sites and get the wiring diagrams OR someone on here might have it and send to you.

9. fordman

fordman Senior Member

Make sure you have the same number of pins on your truck side connection as you do on the plow side connection. I had the same problem when I bought my 8' UniMount used. It was because the plow came off a Chev and was setup for 12 pin system and I was mounting it on my Dodge which was setup for a 9 pin system. I just took it to my local plow dealer and he changed the wiring on the plow over to a 9 pin system to match my truck. Never had a problem with lights or wiring since.