1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Lights Not Working

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by 1995droptopz, Dec 23, 2011.

1. 1995droptopz

1995droptopz Junior Member

I have a Western Unimount Pro Plow mounted on a 2000 Ford F250, and my plow lights are not working at all. I bought the truck in the spring, and the plow was already attached and working, but I did not check the lights. I dropped the plow when I got it home and forgot about it. One of the housings was damaged so I went to replace it this past week, and I found a nest in the housing and some chewed wiring. I replaced the housing, repaired the wiring, and no lights.

The headlights don't work and neither do the parking lights. All of the lights are still working on the truck. I have headlights lit on the truck with the plow connectors plugged in or not. Any ideas?

2. Lone136

Lone136 Senior Member

Do you have a 4 port or 3 port mod ? Or the old relay wiring?

3. 1995droptopz

I have relays for my lights. It is a 9 pin connector at the plow.

4. Lone136

Lone136 Senior Member

All the relays do is control the head lights. Here is a link to the Western sight is the wiring of the lights for a 9 pin. I just took a 9 pin setup off of my truck Wednesday night that worked just fine. I installed a 4 port set up on my truck

http://library.westernplows.com/ddcommon/dd_pdf/pdfs/22373.07_110108_for_web.pdf

Here is where to go about the wiring. Look on page 52 and go from there

5. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

there are fuses on your wiring harness. two of them inside a little black cover. check those first and check the bulbs in the lights for good filiments before we start to try to diaganose the problem.

Also, can you give me the number of relays that you have so we are all working with the same deck of cards.

6. 1995droptopz

I have replaced all of the parking light bulbs and checked the sealed beams for continuity and all check out good. This is a 2 relay system (as far as I can tell).

Last night I ran through the headlight troubleshooting chart on the Western Mechanics guide and it points to a bad wire where it taps into the parking light circuit. I think I found the problem there: The wire tap was very corroded and I have what appears to be an open across the wire tap. Going to try to fix this and see where it gets me.

7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

the parking lights have nothing to do with the headlights not working on the plow, it is a direct feed to the plow lights. im thinking that your realys are bad. did you check them?

8. 1995droptopz

My parking lights do not work either...The brown wire from the parking lights goes into the relays and should have 12v with the headlights on, but I have nothing.

9. dieselss

yep i was wrong sorry . did you replace that stupid scotch clamp???

10. dieselss

11. 1995droptopz

same document I found. And yes, the scotch locks will be history and replaced with good ol' solder and heat shrink

12. dieselss

ok,,you can "hotwire" the parking light input at the relay. just unplug the wire and install a hotwire from battery. turn on your lights and see if you have plow lights. can also test light the relays as well, see if you have pwr and gnd at the correct pins. still thinking your relays are bad.

13. 1995droptopz

The only thing that makes me think the relays are ok is that I had both housings removed while I was waiting for parts to arrive, and if I plugged in the 9 pin connector, then the truck headlights turned off like they were supposed to. I unplugged the connector and they turned back on. As soon as all of the lights on the plow were connected again then I had nothing.

14. dieselss

ok,,,but did you probe for pwr at pin 87 while this was happening??? clicking does mean that the wiring on the 30 and 85 pins are working,,but it doesnt mean that the 87 circuit is getting pwr.

15. dieselss

did you also ck for a good gnd at the plow lights?

16. 1995droptopz

Grounds at the plow light are good...All new wiring in the housings and only 2 ohms resistance from them to the truck.

Going to fix the power wire at the parking light and go from there

17. dieselss

ok 2.0 ohms.....or .2 ???

18. 1995droptopz

Removed the scotch lock and soldered the parking light wire and that didn't do it. I then jumped a wire from battery to the solenoid pin 87 and they worked! Traced the parking light wire to a sealed box. From the manual I figure this is the sealed solenoid unit for the parking light circuit. Found corroded and broken wires at this point. I bypassed this module and ran the parking light wire direct to the high and low beam solenoids and everything appears to work.

So do I need to get a new parking light solenoid or will my solution work???