1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Lights Not Working. MM1 on 99 Dakota.

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by j&hsnowplowing, Jan 19, 2012.

1. j&hsnowplowing

j&hsnowplowing Junior Member

I have a fisher plow MM1 plow on a 1999 Dogde Dakota. I have the wiring harness all setup. The plow moves fine up, down, left, and right. I have heard from others that the brown wire coming from the harness is the park light and tells the headlights when to swtich over. Now I have 2 brown wires coming out of the harness. I dont know why. The schematic says that i should only have one. im using the Western Electrical Schematic for 9 pin setup. HB5 headlights. No DRL's. Harness type F. I read somewhere that Western and Fisher schematics are basically the same. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

This may seem obvious, but are you in fact using a relay system (2 connections at the grill)?

Are you sure that they're not turn signal feeds? You should have 1 park, 2 turn signals, and possibly a DRL feed.

3. j&hsnowplowing

Yup there are two connectors at the grill. A 12 pin that wires to the relays and into the cab and then a 2 pin that provides power to the motor. The truck has no DRL's so I have the wiring harness that fisher says works. Without the DRL kit. All the colors i have too match up with the western schematic im working with. Im just very confused about the 2 brown wires instead of 1 that the schematic says. Also could it just be a dead relay?

4. j&hsnowplowing

Also if the wiring harness comes with 2 relays. Is it a 2 relay system im working with or could it be a 4 relay and i have to purchase the other 2?

5. RepoMan207

from Maine

Those relay schematics leave alot of room for desire imho. Some are better then others. I take it from your post NONE of the lights are working on the plow? Honestly, I have no real experience in trouble shooting relay systems, so I'm hoping someone else will jump in. To point out the obvious, tap the other brown wire into the other park lamp to be sure. Re check your wiring install, and confirm 12v on your power source.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  6. RepoMan207

from Maine

Yeah, I don't know man, I think I'm going to sit back and get schooled here. I'll dig into what I can find online, and if I come across some new found knowledge I'll let ya know. Sorry I couldn't help further.

7. j&hsnowplowing

Yes this is correct none of the lights work. Well actually the turns and parking worked on the plow but to make sure my motor didnt fail i did a direct jump from the battery to the plow and blew the turn signal relay in the truck and none of the lights on the plow work. The headlights work just not now and the turn signals went out after i did the direct jump.

Well after some searching I found that either my setup should be a 4 relay system...according to Western or a 2 relay according to Fisher. Western has the most update schematic of the 2. Theirs is from 2008 and Fisher from 1998. When i bought the harness it came with a an inline fuse deal. It has 2 reds plugs that go to the Highs and Lows for the plow. They have a 15a fuse on each plug and get wired directly to the battery terminal. Only the western schematic shows this being used so i went with the western schematic in the first place. The fisher schematic for my style headlight is a 2 relay system. That would make sence too as the harness kit only came with 2 relays.

I think I may just have to call Donovan Spring over in londonderry tomorrow and see what their input is on this as well as how many relays my truck should be using and maybe their techs can shed some light on this dual brown wire issue.