1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Lights-new

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Avitare, Dec 27, 2007.

1. I followed a lead from a thread a few weeks ago and bought a pair of
    replacement bulbs from Sylvania
    They claim to be as good as HID. I cant compare to that but I can say
    that they are much better than my prior bulbs.
    About $25 ea at Auto Zone

Havent driven in a snow but distance and clarity in the dark was much better.
    Felt like real headlights.

recommended up grade
    tc

2. Fog lights on the roof ??

Has anyone tried adding fog lights on the plow light frame
    or above the roof ??
    I am wondering if there would be a glare if lights are above the windshield??
    tc

3. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

I just added a second set of lights on my plow frame right next to the stock lights. They are awesome, night and day difference. They are on a separate switch. I was leery at first wondering if they would look too redneckish, but they look good and are bright as heck.

4. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

I've been toying with adding a set of second lights to my plow frame...do you have them setup to run at all times with the regualr headlights or do you turn them off when on the road?

Any photos?

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

You want to be looking above or below the beam of light for the best results not throught the beam of light.
    Next if you mount lights on the roof you can paint your hood flat black to reduce the glare.

6. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

They are wired to a separate switch, to turn on only when needed. I have them aimed out wards a little bit, so they would blind oncoming traffic if left on. With these aimed out wards and the factory plow lights you can see everything.

7. part number

throwing out the box--
    Sylvania H4666ST
    12V
    66/55 watts (hi/lo --2 headlight system)
    6.5X 4 inches
    "sealed beam"

Saturday at 5am -- I was amazed how much better they are
    Havent tried during a snow fall, yet.

Highly recommended
    tc

8. dis-connect plug

I have been looking for a good 2 wire plug that I can cover the ends on the truck side
    and have heavy ga wire for carrying the load. I was hoping to find something bigger
    than trailer wire plugs

I am going to use a relay but still looking for good quality switches that light up.
    My friend has a switch that is one color when off and another when on.

tc