1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow lights make switch hot!!!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by LJC Lawncare, Jan 11, 2009.

1. LJC Lawncare

LJC Lawncare Junior Member

I have a 97 dodge and a uni-mount western. One day when I was plowing I keep smelling a burning smell. I thought it was my brakes, but I stopped to get gas and got back in the truck and there was smoke comming from my headlight switch. So I had to get a new headlight switch and then I took the headlight wire and tail/aux light wire and put them on a toggle switch w/ 40amp relay. But when my plow is on, the relay seems to get hot and smell a hot switch smell. I don't know what else to do.:dizzy::dizzy:

2. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Check wires for a small short. Must be drawing too much somewhere. Start by unplugging the headlights and see if it is still drawing power (getting warm)

3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

More than likely the relay is wired wrong.

4. timmy1

timmy1 Senior Member
    from RI

The OEM headlight switches and harnesses are junk.

Here is what I did.

First of all, you have to use 2 toggles, 1 for green wire headlights and one for black/yellow tail lights.
    On your headlight switch, use a 50 Amp toggle. Park lights,25 amp.

As far as the relay heating up, you're probably overdoing it at 40A. Isolate the two and problem solved.

5. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Check your trailer light plug for corrosion and broke/corroded wires at the plug in behind it.

6. LJC Lawncare

what if I put the parklamps back on the factory switch, and keep the headlights on the toggle?

7. timmy1

timmy1 Senior Member
    from RI

Yes, that would isolate the two, I think you will like having the two toggles though.

I left the dash dimmer and the interior light function on the original switch

8. LJC Lawncare

Well, tonight I though I could just quickly connect the yellow/black wire back to the stock switch, and leave the green wire hooked to my toggle switch. But the problem is that my plow lights are wired into my park lights. I had to put everything back the way it was b/c we have a snow storm comming and I have to be out early, but I will run the second toggle for the park lamps this weekend. Also, does anybody know how to keep the plowlights off, and just run with the truck lights, b/c my plow lights suck and they are pointing at the ground & I tried to adjust them but they are to rusty. I can see much better with my truck lights.

9. ogdenflooring

ogdenflooring Member

Crash-

I love the plow!! thanx for all of your help!!!! Just today I noticed this same thing in my truck. I thought it was a belt or something!?!!! Everything has worked fine, and still does..........green label iso??? Should I get a white?
    thanx again

Matt

2006 F-150- 5.4 71/2' western midweight poly

10. timmy1

timmy1 Senior Member
    from RI

You can eliminate the relay and have a toggle for each if you want.

Try some new halogen bulbs in you're plow lights, bet they are old and cloudy.
    And try turning the bulbs upside down. sometimes there is built in angle offset that is reverse when you flip them over.wesport

11. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  12. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

hmmm, iv had two swtiches burn out on me

but the most recent was a short in the back of the truck

Iv had countless problems with trailer plugs and liecense plate lights shorting due to salt

i had to replace most of the wiring in the trucks head light system

13. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Well go into dealer with this recall number 99V024000 Maybe they still do them free. If not they can order the kit for you

14. shott8283

shott8283 Senior Member

they have been known to get hot and blow, it doesnt mean its your plow lights, it may be just coincidental (spellin?)

my old dodge i had two go and i had no plow on it. my 01 never had a problem on it ,, different style.

something to do with the smaller or lack of the heat sink on the back of them

or it could be the plow lights drawing too much through the switch

15. ogdenflooring

ogdenflooring Member

Thanx for the info. I would have never started at the back of the truck, since the burning smell was in the cab!!!

16. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Mine got so hot it started a small wire fire and melted the switch completely. The problem was the trailer plug wires were so corroded at the back of the pigtail it molded wires together.

17. Yup its a known Dodge issue. The headlight switch isn't strong enough for so much draw. I have heard of guys actually have a fire start under the dash and burning their wiring harness completely. This end up in big $$$$$$

18. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Matt, I would get the right ISO still, I would lean towards that as being your problem.

19. ogdenflooring

ogdenflooring Member

Wrong iso

I wondered if that may have anything to do with it. One on CL for $100, Ill have to give him a call. Thanx again!