1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow lights issue

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by DevaRoh, Nov 22, 2011.

1. DevaRoh

DevaRoh Junior Member
    from mass

ok so i just finished installing a plow on my 04 cummins, and everything works...well kinda.

when i turn on the head lights, the plow markers come on but not the lights, directionals work. but then randomly the plow lights will flicker on and then off. sometimes the right marker light will go off and then come back on. not sure what is happening

2. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

minute mount 1 or minute mount 2?

3. DevaRoh

DevaRoh Junior Member
    from mass

Oh sorry, minute mount 2

4. chevyzrule810

how many ports is your isolation module?

5. DevaRoh

DevaRoh Junior Member
    from mass

its a three port module. i personally took it out of an 04 ram 2500 hemi truck.

6. chevyzrule810

something isn't wired right where in ma are you located?

7. DevaRoh

DevaRoh Junior Member
    from mass

Wellesley natick area. About 10 miles west of boston

8. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

It is where your wires quick connect to your headlights. There should be a male/female connectors and if you have them flipped the lights will not work properly. Look at the directions and look at the connections again make sure they are hooked up correctly and that should fix it. 2 other guys had this problem this week.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I would agree on the headlamp issue. The connector plugs need plugged in so that their locking tabs are on the side of the socket marked "HB5". Make sure to check them both.

It won't fix your R marker issue though, something else going on there that's probably in the marker light itself such as poor contact, bad bulb, bad bulb socket etc.

10. DevaRoh

DevaRoh Junior Member
    from mass

when i got the control harness out of the other truck, the previous owner had the wires hard wired into his truck with no quick connects. without thinking, i just cut the wires... so over the past couple weeks i searched and tried to find the right way to hook them up with quick connects i bought. i thought i did this right, guess maybe i didnt.

can anyone help me in figuring out which wires go where?

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Then I would highly suggest picking up a new headlamps harness. You should not cut into the truck harness as the 03-up Dodges are very sensitive to any kind of weak or poor connection (even when you think they're perfect) either during the install or a year down the road once the weather has worked on them a little. Do it right the first time.

12. DevaRoh

DevaRoh Junior Member
    from mass

That's what I was thinking but just didn't want to have to spend the money on a new harness. Thought I could get away with putting male/female hb-5/9007 connectors on the harness. But guess maybe there isn't a good connection somewhere.

13. chevyzrule810

If you need a harness let me know I know a guy thats on the ma/nh line that can get you a new harness 20% off the fisher price new.

14. DevaRoh

DevaRoh Junior Member
    from mass

Thanks I'll let you know. I think I know what my issue is but won't have a chance to look into it till this weekend.

15. DevaRoh

DevaRoh Junior Member
    from mass

figured it out today. didnt notice till the other night when i started driving down a dark unlit road that i had my high/low wires reversed going into my headlight. so when i turned my lights on, my highs were on and my fogs(guess thats why people flashed their lights at me all the time the past week). when i flipped on my high beam switch, the blue indicator came on but my lows clicked and my fogs turned off.

so long story short, this is why my plow lights kept flipping on and off. once i fixed the headlights the plow lights worked like a charm. then i found that i had the parking light wire tapped into the wrong wire on my truck (thanks buddy at work with a mulimeter) tested things today and found i was tapped into the ground wire. once i switched that, the parking lights and directionals worked mint!

so now time to get a longer chain and get ready for winter!

thanks everyone for your help!