1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Lights go out when I turn Brights on

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by mklawnman, Nov 25, 2006.

1. I have a 2003 Model plow for a 2000 F150, it is a 7'6" plow i think the MT series, with the older style electrical hookups with a relay. When I go to put the lights on high beam the lights go out. I've taken the relay out and unplugged all the hookups and cleaned them and put dielectric greese on it and put all the wires back matching the numbers on the relay to the wires.
    Is my relay bad? Or is it a bad wire that has corroded? I did notice that on one of the plugs for the lights the stud had come off and is stuck in the recieving end of the plug, not sure if thats for the ground or wha. The lights do work in low beams and the turn lights and park lights all work, just not the high beams.
    THanks
    Matt

2. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

Id look closely at the wiring again. |It sounds like corrosion.

Corrosion is the death of these things and the root cause for a lot of if not most of the issues with plow lights and weird unexplained changes in performance.

Good luck.

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Take a test light to it. If the broken pin has juice when you turn the high beams on, then that's your problem. If not test the relay to see if it's switching over from truck to plow.

4. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

check the bulb it may not be a high low bulb so when you hit the high beams it throws it back to the truck lights

5. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Basher is giving you good advice. A test light should let you know pretty quick whether it is the harness or the relay.