1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow lights don't work please help

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by chevyman1010, Dec 23, 2009.

1. chevyman1010

chevyman1010 Junior Member

my light dont work and truck lights stay on do i need a switch to turn off my truck lights? please help if i do were dose it go?

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Need more info then that.

What truck & plow do you have?

Is this a new install?

What did you install for wiring?

3. snow jockey

snow jockey Junior Member

If it is a newer plow and truck AND uses relays, then it is probably just a matter of having the wiring correct going to/coming out of the relays.

4. chevyman1010

its an older mm1 9 pin 2 wire system on a dodge ram 1500 i didnt hard wire the parking light yet could that be the prob plow work just not the lights thank every one for helping

5. chevyman1010

1998 dodge ram 1500 new install

6. RepoMan207

from Maine

No, although you still need to do that, it wouldn't effect the headlights operation I would think.

You plugged the light harness into the headlamps, then the vehicles light harness into the plow light harness right?

Was there connectors even on the harness, or did you have to hard wire them in?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  7. chevyman1010

no evey thing had connectors the only thing that i have to hard wire is the parking lights

8. RepoMan207

from Maine

.......Parking lights & turn signals.

This may sound simple, but have you checked the lights on the plow, and the wiring immediately to them?

The only other thing that crosses my mind is the relay wiring may be incorrect. & is probably more likely.

9. chevyman1010

ok great i will check it out thanks alot

10. chevyman1010

i dont need a switch in the truck to turn off my head lights on the truck or is that what the relay does?

11. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

The relays switch the lights from truck to plow when the plow is plugged in. Relays are triggered by the brown parking light wire. Check to see that the brown wire is spliced into the vehicle's parking light circuit, and that the relays are wired correctly.

12. RepoMan207

from Maine

Nope, when the plow is plugged in, the plow lighting harness completes the connection via the plows lights. When the plow isn't connected the connection is completed through the trucks wiring. So the lights will turn on and off just as it would if there was no plow wiring.

In short, no, your factory headlamp light switch takes care of this operation.

13. chevyman1010

ok great i have not wired the bronw wire in yet that must be the problem them i hope

14. RepoMan207

from Maine

So there you go, the parking lights do play a role in the relay system. I even learned something new today. Thanks cube.

Connect your parking light wire and you should be good to go.

15. cubicinches

Sounds like the problem.

16. chevyman1010

thanks everyone for all you help i will try to wire int the parking lights and will let you know if that was the problem thanks agian

17. chevyman1010

ok when i was looking at the wiring the harness has a gray and brown wire on the driver side do you know what wire goes to what the harness on the parking light has 3 wires a major,minor,and a ground on the pass side i have 1 purple wire with 3 wires on parking lights same as driver side when i hooked up the brown to the ground and the gray to the major on driver side and on pass side i put the purple to the major the driver side parking light bulb went but blinker still works what am i doing wrong?:realmad::realmad: :realmad:

18. cubicinches

I'm not exactly sure what you did judging from your post.

Use a test light to determine which wires on the truck harness are for driver's side and passenger's side turn signals, and which one is for driver's side parking lamps. Splice the gray wire from the plow harness into the vehicle's driver's side turn signal wire, the purple wire into the vehicle's passenger side turn signal wire, and the brown wire into the vehicle's parking lamp wire on the driver's side.

19. chevyman1010

ok i think i put the brown wire to the groundwire on the truck

20. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The brown wire needs to be connected to the parking lights. This powers one side of the headlight relay coils. When you plug in both plugs to the plow, it grounds the other side of the relay coils which switches the headlight power from the the truckside to the plowside.