1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow lights blow fuses

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by snowotter, Jan 11, 2010.

1. snowotter

snowotter Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

New here, have an rt3 straight blade w/smarthitch 2 (2002?) on a 2000 siverado 2500 4x4. headlight issues on the truck, fixed with a whole new truck wiring (13 pin i think)harness , new solonoid,new relays. when the truck / plow switch is put on plow the mini 15 fuses for the headlights blow( 2 of them). I tried to clean up the ?ground inside the plow lights but I don't think the headlights are connected on the frame too well.

lights have a wire inside connecting to a metal baseplate inside(ground?), the light housing
    is held on by giant rusted bolts into a hole on the light socket which allows the light to flop around. the dealer that installed the new harness/relays/solonoid for $5xx ( I took truck into fix headlight issues, I had new harness put in bc thats what dealer reccomended).
    after 4 hours+ mechanic had to leave. my plow lights still weren't working.

** dealer suggested chopping off bolts and welding them on**
    So now I need to fix myself, and save myself money.
    thinking of getting aftermarket lights for the plow wired separately from the harnesses as a backup. thanks for any input

2. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

I am no expert. When you hook up the plow, it the switch on Plow? or Truck? Keep it on Truck until the plow is hooked up. When your ready switch to Plow. This happened to me on Friday. Only I had the Truck set to high beams, when i switched to Plow. I blew the two 15 fuses under the hood.
    Give it a shot, while your waiting for B&B. :salute:

3. snowotter

snowotter Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

I was already hooked up and then the dealer installed the new harness and switch (plow/truck lights) last monday. He flipped the switch to plow and the fuses blew, then back to truck no fuses blow, then back to plow and another set of fuses blew. I taped the switch to truck in the meantime so I don't blow more sets of fuses.

this is another topic, already helped by this board. the plow was tripping alot. i read to
    check the shock and see if its upside down--- well yes it is . my springs look exactly like everyone suggests little daylight between the coils. I have it half freed now, waiting for the rusteater to free the bottom bolt. I hope that fixes that.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  4. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

Just thought that would have helped. Good luck.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

See here for the fix to your rusty light mounting bolts Boss headlamp fix

1) Do the high and low beams both work fine on the truck?

2) Does it blow the fuses when flipped to the plow lamp position regardless of whether they're on either high or low beam?

3) Did the plow lamps work correctly before your dealer replaced the truck side plow harness?

6. snowotter

snowotter Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

going out to check your list B&B

7. snowotter

snowotter Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

OK I am moving slow today, pressed into family duties elsewhere.
    1) high and low work fine on the truck
    2)low beam (plow) blew my fuses --- my spares are in and the extra ones I bought disappeared
    will have to buy more tomorrow auto store is closed , then I can check plow high beams.
    3) plow lamps did not work correctly before I went to the dealer.

I did read (thanks) and buy the screws for headlight mount overhaul-- I am thinking cleaning up the grounds to the plow lights can only help. I think the plow lights are grounded through those rusty floppy bolts?
    I couldn't find half inch plow bolts however. maybe I can use smaller flathead machine screws with large washers?

the shock bolts are proving very stubborn, and now I want to overhaul all the hardware thats rusting
    so I bought a grinder and cutoff blades to strip off the rusting bolts. rusteater and heat didn't free the loose nut. I am working outside in the cold so maybe it makes nuts stickyer.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The ground wire inside the light housings are just auxiliary grounds. The lamps each still have a common ground through the wiring harness to each light. Which one is ground (common) depends on how the vehicle option connector is orientated on the truck side and what truck the plow is mounted on. And its a possibility that is where your issue may lie.

Once you get fuses and have a chance to take a look check the option connector and let me know which way its orientated. It's a rubber two terminal connector inline in the main plow harness, should find it near the relay bank. It will have a red/yellow and a white//yellow and it can be reversed to provide correct common wire orientation for the plow lamps. If it's reversed the wrong way for your truck it can cause lighting issues, such as blown fuses for example.

9. snowotter

snowotter Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

I did notice before the plow lights went I saw sparking out of the floppy mount area. If they are (the mounts) auxiliarry grounds then I should concentrate on finding the real grounds. On to finding the option connector in the AM when I can see.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Just for clarification later which style of plow lights are on it? The older square style or the 4 bulb composite Smart Lights?

Also, here's a pic of the option connector to make your search a little easier....

[​IMG]

11. snowotter

snowotter Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

Ok I checked the high and low beams on the plow and both blow fuses. when it blows the fuse the truck high beam indicator comes on and stays on inside the truck and no headlights work until I replace the 15 amp set once again.

the option connector is oriented red /yellow to red yellow, white yelow to white yellow.
    I have the rounded R2D2 lights ( looks like alaska boss' lights in the HID conversion he did) , my truck is the newer 2000 silverado 2500 with the 6.0 l engine, newer body
    style from that year , extended cab. I dont think it had plow prep to start with, but it now has 2 batts

it has an AUX light switch( original equipment) with splicing into it-- I disconnected that before the new harness was put in as it looked like a fire hazard . the trucks headlights have a "darkness" switch , so the truck headlights come on in the dark or on foggy days automatically.

12. Deckscapes

Deckscapes Senior Member

Check your headlight adapter connections for proper orientation as the connectors can easily be reversed. Also check your Red/White wire at the battery terminals, I believe for your vehicle it should be connected to the negative terminal. Your option connector has correct orientation, so I am betting the trouble is in your headlight adapter connections.

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There's at least a part of your problem right there. Reverse the connector and re-try.

14. snowotter

snowotter Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

Ok I'll switch the option connector, I am now stocked up with 2 boxes of fuses
    thanks for all the help.

15. snowotter

snowotter Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

I will check the color of the wires on the battery today, and flip the option connector to see if that makes a difference. Flipping the option connector changes which wire is the ground, right?, so I can't test the wires on the plow headlights for ground until I know whats what.

I bought a circuit tester kit, never used one before, but I watched the mechanic test the fuses without removing them. I put the alligator clip on the battery and the probe on whatever I'm testing (right?)
    if I am testing a ground I put the clip on the positive or red battery terminal (?), and I put the clip on a black, negative or a clean "frame ground" to test a power connection (???).

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Flipping the connector changes which wire becomes the common wire. It's isn't ground on your truck, it's power. Because yours is a positive common lighting system which is the odd one. And hence the option connector needs to reflect that. And by doing so your white/yellow now becomes your positive common (hot) and your red/yellow and blue/yellow are now your trigger wires....which are ground; thus making it basically backward from a "normal" negative common lighting system. However you can still do any testing with a test light, you simply have to know which should show as hot and which should show as ground.

For example, for your situation if you were testing at the 13 pin plug, your white/yellow in pin #9 would show power, your blue/yellow in pin # 7 would show as ground with the hi beams on and your red/yellow in pin # 8 should show ground with the lows on.

You are correct and very observant. :salute:

17. snowotter

snowotter Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

I flipped the option connector no blown fuses but
    truck lights work normally, plow lights stay on high no matter what and the high beam indicator stays on when switched to Plow. Plow lights will Not go off even with the key off or out.

I took out the single red /yellow wire and left in the other one
    truck lights normal,on/off high/low when on truck setting
    plow on /off in high only , high beam light stuck on, when switched to plow the truck lights are off no matter what I tried .
    red/white wire hooked up to positive battery box connected to positive battery wire.
    this was during the day so no auto light sensing should affect things.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You have a red/white wire? Is this a 5 relay pack harness? If so, leave the red/white disconnected for now. It requires it's own modifications to work correctly on your year of truck and will only complicate matters right now. It's only for the additional dual burn option anyway.

19. snowotter

snowotter Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

yes its a five pack relay just installed. If it matters I kept the old harness it might have been a 4 pack
    before , I kept it in case I needed spares of something.

so I should disconnect the red/ white to the postive terminal?

will it hurt anything if I just leave the red/yellow wire disconnected?

20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes disconnect the red/white. I'll explain how to get the extra dual burn relay to work later once we're sure the lighting is all working correctly first.

You disconnected the red/yellow where?