1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow lights are not so good

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by tasbm5, Feb 4, 2016.

1. tasbm5

tasbm5 Member
    from canada

Hello all , Again my my old LD plow has issues the sealed beam lights are just horrible driving at night . I checked in to replacing the head lights with the new style but I was told I would have to replace the module and wiring and I'm unsure if that's worth the expense .
    I bought the plow used and had it for about 4 years and I never replaced the lights and really don't know how old the lights are , do you think replacing the lights would be a good idea or a waste of money ? It was never a problem until this year when I started plowing to make money , I use Led lights to plow the driveways its just getting to my jobs that's a pita . Any advise or help would appreciated ?
    Thanks Terry

2. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Have you tried adjusting the aim of the lights? Not sure how old yhey are. I have an 8 year old Western MVP with the Nighthawks. I think they are better than the truck lights (2006 F350) in part because they are so easy to adjust.

3. tasbm5

tasbm5 Member
    from canada

I wish I had the nighthawks , I have the sealed beam Sylvanuas

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

You can get glass housings with replaceable bulbs, or get led lights

5. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Might I ask why you have to replace all of the module and wiring?

If you think about the long and short of 12v wiring, you have a 12v hot and a ground.

You can buy the newer style lights and just re-attach your old harness inside the new light housing. I have done it to dozens of plows. Pretty quick and simple.

6. tasbm5

tasbm5 Member
    from canada

I really don't know why , that's what I was told

7. tasbm5

tasbm5 Member
    from canada

would like to do the replaceable bulbs any idea where to look or a starting place ?
    Thank you

8. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I guess I really didn't mean it as a question. Sometimes my sarcasm gets in the way of being helpful.

What they are referring to is that you will have to change the truck side to match the newer style wiring that comes installed on the new style headlights. If you have very simple wiring skills, this is not true.

You can buy a set of nighthawks or intensifiers which ever one you want to call them and connect your existing headlight harness to the new lights.

Pull your old lights off, cut the wires off at the connector in the back of the headlight, drill the extra hole in the headgear, and mount the new lights, then wire inside the headlight casing the ground to ground, high to high, low to low, then wire the blinkers and the corner markers... done.

9. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Plugs on the back of the lights are different. If you have a 3 plug system you can just purchase the plow side light harness and the newer lights.

10. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

I put intensifiers on both my trucks . Both my plows are old fisher 3 plugs . They came with everything I needed to hook them up to my existing wires. I bought the brackets to mount them but could have fabbed them up . Just easer to buy them and bolt them on . The directions and wiring was simple . Like night and day as far as being able to see . Wish I had done it sooner .

Oops thats the truck with the real old under hood pump .

dodge 2500.jpg

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  11. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

12. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks for the idea and the Amazon link. I may steal your idea too.
    T.J.

13. tasbm5

tasbm5 Member
    from canada

Thanks everyone I now have some options, I'll keep yah posted.
    Thanks Terry

14. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

15. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

Do Leds make enough heat to stay melted up front near the plow ? I know my Led roof beacon needs clearing off while the old rotating beacon I had never needed that .

16. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Yes they do

17. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I don't think that's accurate at all. When they first came out I did a full on plow rehab, I recall the light kit came with good instructions parts that allows you to splice them...then later kits did not come with them. I'll see if I can dig up that thread on the plow rehab for reference.

18. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  19. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

I do remember my friend having the same problem with his two plug sehp plow.He was short on money he ended using a small sandblaster to clean the plow and truckside pins and cleaning all the grounds.Then he brought one of his lights to napa matched it up and bought two new sealed beams lights and put them in.Thats an option if you are short on money.

20. tasbm5

tasbm5 Member
    from canada

a 3 plug with an ISO module under the hood