1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow lights are messed

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by wplcsnowplowing, Jan 29, 2013.

1. wplcsnowplowing

wplcsnowplowing Junior Member

Hey guys, this is my first post..I've been a just a spectator on this site for a while. I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 8 ft. Ultramount Western Plow. Recently the lights on the plow have stopped working. The lights on my truck are bright(instead of being dimmed like they are supposed to be) and my tail:mechanic: lights arent working unless I brake or turn. Has this ever happened with any of yer guy's trucks before? Any advice is appreciated!

2. wplcsnowplowing

Btw, all wiring is new and was installed this year. I used it in 4 plowing events this year and then it randomly went out.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I'm lost as to the tk lights being bright instead of dim???? Im leaning towards gnd issue.

4. wplcsnowplowing

Well at least with western plows, the lights dim instead of turning off when the plow is plugged in. Maybe that isn't true with all plows.

5. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

1. Unplug the plow. Same issues!
    2. Unplug isolation module one by one. Same issues?
    3. Professional installation?
    4. Check connections where you tapped into turns. Should be soldered. Did you use a scotch lock and its a bad connection?
    5. Grounds?
    6. The Weatern setup is pretty straight forward with respect to lighting.

6. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

The lights should shut off when you plug in the plow. The only things left on would be the markers on the truck. With my Western plows in the past anyhow, Unimounts and Ultramounts.

7. dieselss

X2 with ray. x2 with rays pt2. Your tk lights should be totally off when plow is hooked up period .

8. wplcsnowplowing

Sorry, I should rephrase that. Parking lamps should stay on and tail lights should stay on but yes lights should turn off. So I kind of narrowed it down to parking lamp or tail light issue since the truck has the same issue even when the plow is not connected. I actually installed it with my dad (i'm 19) and we had a plow guy check it over so it should be good. Ill check the rest of your suggestions. Thanks for the advice.

9. wplcsnowplowing

Grounds and connections all seem to be good.

10. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

Hmmm. Same issue without the plow? I've heard about issues with headlight switches before but I wouldn't know how to go about diagnosing it.

11. wplcsnowplowing

I don't have isolation module. That's for newer trucks right?

12. dieselss

ISO is for plow. Headlight module is truck side. But that's what I read. Dodges supposedly have them. Dont quote me on that

13. wplcsnowplowing

Update: looked at a few dodge forums and the only thing that makes sense is that my whole fuse box/block is bad. Somebody had same issue where only parking lamp and tail lights were out, but the whole fuse box was bad. Thanks for the help

14. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

Isolation module is like the little black box for the plow. It pretty much tells the plow lights to turn on and the truck lights to **** off. If you did the install you should've seen the isolation module. Should have 3 ports with matching plugs leading to the headlight harnesses and plow. Perhaps this is a custom install? Some guys just override the module and start hacking and splicing wires which can lead to problems. Not saying you did this but I'm concerned with you not knowing what the isolation module is.

15. wplcsnowplowing

It was a custom job, and I believe I just started hacking and splicing wires..lol

16. wplcsnowplowing

I take that back..I only spliced like 2 wires if I remember correctly. I only have one battery..maybe that's the reason? Instructions said nothing about the Isolation Module.

17. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

You probably just tapped into the blinkers on each side. Then you unplugged each headlamp, plugged the plow harness into the headlamp. That harness should've went back to an isolation module. Unless I'm missing something. I just took off an Ultramount from a 2000 Ford and it was identical to my Fisher Setup on a previous Ford. Maybe Dodge is different.

18. wplcsnowplowing

I believe it just went back to a bunch of different relays. There is a parking lamp module, but no isolation module.

19. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

My guess would be one of those relays.

20. dieselss

What?? Either you have a 3 or 4 plug ISO fo for the plow never heard ofa parking light module