1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow light upgrade

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Diesel Nick, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Diesel Nick

Diesel Nick Member

I have an older uni-mount with the ultra mount conversion. The sealed beam lights that came with it are not the best. I would like to put in HID's but I know I need a sealed beam conversion kit. Has anyone ever done this or know where I can get these items? I know I can get HID's from ebay. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Nick

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Somewhere I've seen the Buyers/SnowDogg lights for less then $200. They are good candidates for HID conversion because they use separate Hi/Lo bulbs.

3. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

It's really not that hard to swap on the new night hawk lights from the new ultramounts. they are only about 240.00 from cpw. I just did this to my plow. I had to fabricate a new head light mount then just splice in the new lights into the existing 9 pin harness.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The Nighthawks only use one bulb for both Hi and Lo beam. Not the best for HID from what I've read...

5. jrjr2u

jrjr2u Senior Member

Yea you really want 2 bulbs per side.... high beam/low beam

6. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

7. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

my thoughts were to just upgrade to the nighthawks and not worry about the hid conversion. by the time you were to spend the money on a different set of lights and buy the hid conversion you could have just bought the nighthawks. I know I'm starting to sound like an infomercial for these lights but they are a huge step up from the unimount lights.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The Nighthawks are very good lights, but one thing to consider is that you cannot buy individual components. Crack the lens, which should be like 20 bucks, if that, and you have to buy the whole light assembly.

I have mine running on relays with a custom harness, and dual burn set up. Very bright.

9. Diesel Nick

Diesel Nick Member

Thanks for the info, I will look into those. Now I have the 3 connectors for the blade, I can run an ultra mount if I want, the question is if I go with the nighthawks, do I have to splice anything or can I just mount them and plug them in and be good to go?

10. Diesel Nick

Diesel Nick Member

one more question, I see some of the new lights have 2 bolts to mount it, my frame only has one. How have you attatched them, or made custom brackets to fit them.

Thanks again

11. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Custom bracket. It helps reduce vibrations as well.

[​IMG]