1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow light toggle switch

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by mpriester, Nov 8, 2011.

1. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

Hello everyone, i'm new and picked up a used meyer plow that has no lights, i am putting a set of universal lights on the plow instead of forking out 400.00 for night sabers. i am going to tap into the marker and turn signal lights on the truck. my question is do i need a spdt toggle switch to run my low and high beams on the plow? any help is appreciated. i am putting this on a 2005 chevy 2500hd Thank You
  2. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

i found everything i needed. Thanks Guys
  3. Dubl0Vert

Dubl0Vert Senior Member

Glad you found everything! This site is an awesome resource.
  4. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

Make sure you wire a relay in. If you have it/plan to have it wired to the headlight wires, it will overload the switch and burn it up. A simply relay install will serve the same function and you wont take the chance on damage.
  5. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

thats what im doing, i ordered a on off on toggle switch and a pair of relays from smith bros. my next thing is wiring the plow, i'm just a little nervous about it as i never did it before but i have worked with electric hydraulics and i have the wiring diagram for the plow and it looks fairly simple just time consuming. if anyone has any installation tips i'm all ears. Thank You
  6. indplstim

indplstim Senior Member

My light switch is heating up and has stared to melt the wire connectors, what is, and how do I install the relay you were talking about, also when I was fiddling with the switch, the black wire with the fuse came off and I'm not sure where it plugs in, just a female connector hanging loose with an in line fuse dangling around
  7. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

go to smith plow repair website, they have a lot of useful information and complete wiring diagrams for installing relays for the lights or if your plow was installed by a dealer got to the plow manufacturer website and look up the wiring diagram for your set up. my lights are set up seperate from the truck headlights is why i used relays. i turn my truck headlights off and flip the toggle for my plowlights.