1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow light relocation

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by blueline38, Mar 12, 2008.

1. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

this is what i want to do. any ideas on how to fabricate it?
    from this
    [​IMG]
    to this

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  2. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

if wanna do the the old style light mounts from a uni-mount might work very well for you .

3. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

mount

or just make it out of 3/16x1 /13/4 or 2" wide flat stock ,make a horizontal platform the correct length for your headlight spacing,approx 45 degree bracket on each side ,with 2 vertical bracket's up from the pump mount frame to the top horizontal light bar

4. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

What's wrong with the factory install? By its very design, the plow won't go higher than the lights. It is what it is, ya know?

What about eliminating any additional work by simply removing the lights altogether?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  5. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

i think the uni-mount brackets would work with some modification to the existing tower. someone on here has a f150 with a suburbanite or homesteader that they modified in the same way but i can't find it. i believe he has one full bar across the top and supported it down to the frame. just fishing for ideas, thanks

6. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

diegard, i found it!! call out to geereed....do you still have pics of your light modification to your homesteader on your old truck?. im interested to see how you built it and attached it! and no the plow does not go higher but the lights are blocking my grill so i want to move them up and they look better wider. as far as removing them if i unplug them the plow does not work. all the wire harnesses have to be plugged in or the plow controller wont even turn on!! i thought of that too cause they dont block my factory lights...........maybe my highbeams a little!!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  7. YardMedic

You're worried about THAT little area blocking your grill? Ever driven with a big boy plow on a pickup (they block most of the grill with no problem)? Simpler is better, ya know?

8. geereed

geereed Senior Member

I bought some steel and did this 2 years ago.The top part is 1 1/2 by 3 1/2 stock. I dont remember the size of the uprights but just measure what size it is where the lights mount and get square stock. I think its 1 1/2 by 1 1/2 but i will check. I still have some small left over pieces and will check tomorrow. Just get 2 long bolts to go through the top down the upright and bolt to the stock light holes. Then mount you lights on the top part.

plow2 004.jpg

plow2 003.jpg

9. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Why bother having plowlights when your plow doesnt even come up to the bottom of the truck lights?

10. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

i agree but if you unplug the lights it disables the plow!

11. YardMedic

Crazy question, but can you invert the lights & mount them upside down to get them out of the way? It's hard to tell from geer's photo, but it looks like they might almost do that. You won't achieve better "looks" but it might solve whatever air flow problem you think you're having. While we're on that subject, though, I don't think your plow & lights will bother air flow more than a Fisher RD or HD. For the amount of time you NEED to drive with the plow on, try some different ways of increasing air flow into the grill (angle, change height). You don't drive more than you need to with the blade attached, do you? I see SO many homeowner plows on the road between storms needlessly.

12. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

i'm going to change the mount and move the lights up and out. i didn't drive with it this year but with my old truck drove to work with it on. its just easier to drop the blade when i get home and plow my way in then to drive over the snow and mount a now buried plow!!

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If the plow wont function with the lights disconnected:

Tie the two orange/black wire together in the light plug. This will complete the ground for the control system. Plow should work then.

14. dieselpusher

dieselpusher Senior Member

give me the measurements and ill weld up a nice bracket for you

15. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

most guys here don't run lights. we have em but really don't need em especially on the fords that set high anyway....

16. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

you probally would be better off just ditching the lights and using your stockers.