1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Light Problems

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by DAYTONA Z, Sep 26, 2006.

1. DAYTONA Z

DAYTONA Z Member

I am trying to get the plow lights on my Snoway 25D to work on my 2000 Dodge Ram.
    Could someone comfirm that the harness and adapters that my dealer sold me are correct?

Harness # 99100197

Adapter # 99100206

I am using the relay that was in a 1997 Dodge Ram harness is it correct?

Thanks

2. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

Do both trucks have drl's?

3. DAYTONA Z

DAYTONA Z Member

2000 doesn't, unsure about the 1997 but I don't think it did.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

They are correct unless it is a sport, then it would be the #99100395 adaptor. Do you have a good ground?

5. DAYTONA Z

DAYTONA Z Member

Thanks!!

Yes the ground is good. Attached to clean factory ground screw.
    Right now all I get is parking lights on the plow no matter if truck is on or off or the truck light switch is on or off.

The plow lights appear to be aftermarket lights wired to the original plugs and I question if a couple of those conections are wrong.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Ok so you have a new factory harness 99100197and 99100206 adapters, and old relay (they're all the same, so that's not a problem,) and aftermarket lights.

Do the truck lights work properly when the plow is not attached?
    Is there a ground wire running from one plow light to the other plow light?

I don't understand where you're getting the 12 volt feed to power the parking lights when no power is being allacated. Are you sure it's not a sport?
    :nono:

7. DAYTONA Z

DAYTONA Z Member

Truck lights work fine.

Yes there is a ground connected between the two lights.

My truck is definately not a sport and the plugs for DRL's are there but capped off by the factory. Truck uses a single headlight bulb.

I did find a way to get all the plow head lights to work fine by jumping a wire.

On the passenger side, the truck side plug has what appear to be a pink and a black wire. On the plow side they are wired together to the ground wire off the light. By cutting the black wire on the plow side and grounding it to the truck the relay trips and the head lights work. ?????

Ground Problem??? Wireing Problem???

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I'd guess ground. Maybe the passenger side light, which grounds through the mounting bolt isn't going to ground. I'll look at the comics tomorrow, and see if I can come up with a better answer then I guess.

9. DAYTONA Z

DAYTONA Z Member

THANKS!!!

I'll try cleaning up the light mounting stud and nut as well as the frame tomorrow and see what happens and let you know.

10. DAYTONA Z

DAYTONA Z Member

I went out and looked because it was bothering me. The aftermarket lights have no provisions to ground through the housing/mounting bolt. Two ground wires come out of the housing and are connected into the wiring harness.

Do I need to hook the grounds on the passenger side to the plow frame?

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You don't have aftermarket lights. If the lights have a common ground between them they are the factory lights. The black wire you are grounding should be the same wire that you grounded before. Makes me doubt the integrity of the harness ground. try reattaching the wire you cut and change the ground, maybe just jump it to the negative battery post. We are surprised sometimes by inadequate grounds, installer choses what looks like a perfectly suitable ground that does not function for God knows what reason. If you have a continuity tester you could check for continuity from the grounds in the lights to the ground on the truck end of the harness. Could be you have a bad harness, so be careful about cutting it up or you won't be able to take it back. SnoWay has instituted a test program for harnesses in resent years but the 99100197 is a older design so you may have a pre-line test item. But again the fact that it works when you ground it further up the line makes me question your original ground. Will go over the comics today and get back to you.

Nothing tougher then wiring to trouble shoot from a distance.

12. DAYTONA Z

DAYTONA Z Member

Thanks I will check all the grounds again but because the factory plugs a spliced and heatwrapped onto the factory plugs and the plug between the lights is an aftermarket I think they are aftermarket and they do not have them wired so they ground correctly .

I did try going straight to the battery negative terminal with the harness ground and it didn't help.

THanks again

13. DAYTONA Z

DAYTONA Z Member

WellI 'm still trying to figure it out but have made progress. I can get the head lights to trip and work fine now. But I can't get the parking lights to go off.

If the plow lights are plugged in the brown wire in the harness to plug into the left parking light on the truck is hot, full 12 volts.

Where is this wire getting its power?
    What other terminal in the harness should be probed with my continuity tester to see if the circuit is correct or if it is hooked to another wire in the harness by mistake?

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

OK, if I remember correctly your truck headlights are low side switched. They control them from the ground side. So there's the 12 volts.
    Are you sure the relay is good. Try pulling the solid red and green wires off the relay one at a time. See if one of those is the source. The parking light is the trigger for the relay, perhaps the headlights are back feeding though there.:confused:

15. DAYTONA Z

DAYTONA Z Member

I've tried the old relay and also got a new one no difference. I did try unplugging wires off the relay one at a time with no change.

The instruction for the harness shows the a brown wire to terminal one on the relay as parking lights. I can unplug this from the relay and still have parking lights so it seems like the brown wire is getting power somewhere in the harness as if it is tied into something else.

Is the brown parking light wire a straight run from the parking light to the relay if so I may just try another wire and bypass the harness to trip the relay and see if the harness is bad.

Thank you!! This thing is turning into a pain.

16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Does it do it with-out the plow plugged in?
    Try unplugging the plow and disconnect the parking lights from the truck and from the relay. Do you have 12 volts in the brown wire?
    If so reconnect and unplug the headlight adp. one at a time see if that changes anything.
    You could have the wrong adp. Sometimes we get a mis-labeled adp. I will let you know what the configuration should be.
    I'll try to look at a dodge of that era today and see if I can find any thing.

Wiring problems are always a pain hang in there we get it b4 it snows:rolleyes: :waving:

17. DAYTONA Z

DAYTONA Z Member

Tried your last suggestions. Plow lights unplugged brown wire dead even if hooked to the relay.

If you plug in the right(passenger side) plow light brown wire is hot. So it seems it has to be something with the wiring in the right headlight.

Thanks again for your help.

18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The right light is also the light that serves as a trigger for the relay. With the right light unplugged the truck lights are on? and the left light is not lit? The parking light path is into right headlight out of right headlight to the relay. That's the trigger to change the relay over to plow lights. Sooo.. lets try unhooking the parking light wire from the truck. Plug in the plow lights. Turn the headlights on, the truck should have lights the plow lights should not light. Test the brown (parking light) wire for 12volt if no 12 volt, touch the parking light wire to the battery pos. termanial plow lights sould come on.
    This thing is probably making me crazier then you! LOL
    If I could only touch it. :dizzy: God I love a mystery. :D Have faith we'll figure it out. I'll check back later.:waving:

19. DAYTONA Z

DAYTONA Z Member

Right plow light plugged in truck lights on or off brown parking light wire hot.

20. DAYTONA Z

DAYTONA Z Member

I'm going to walk away from these light for a day or two I think to clear my head. But if some one could confirm which wires go to what on the truck side of the harness I would appreciate to make sure the aftermarket lights are wired correctly. Thanks!!!!!

Passenger side Drivers side

Pink White

Brown Brown

Orange w/black stripe Orange w/black stripe

Black Black

Yellow Yellow

Red w/black stripe Red w/black stripe.