1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Light Problems - Specs inside

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by westernplow88, Dec 24, 2012.

1. westernplow88

westernplow88 Junior Member
    from NJ

Hey everyone, I have been having problems with my used plow set up. I bought it from my father in law. Its an 8 ft western ultra mount. My issue is that it now when i plug the plow up everything works but the low and high beams. The specs are

2001 GMC 2500 HD crew cab, 8 ft bed
    2 Plug Harness
    12 Pin control harness with numbers part with tag numbers 66610 and a different part number of 66790 (fisher - purchased new)
    5 or 6 relay (cant remember) with DRL module item and part number 26071 (fisher - purchased new)
    the plow lights are grote 6473 lights.

im assuming the harness that was on the plow was original and this is really blowing my mind. Ive been looking at some electrical schematics but can find one specifically for my application. Side note at all times i THINK that both the high beam and low beams are energized regardless of position of the high/low beam switch.

Any help or tests for what to do would be really appreciated. Currently im just going through some western trouble shooting diagrams and what not
  2. Oxmow

Oxmow Senior Member

There is one black wire near the control module that has to be hooked up to the matching connector that is the ground interlock i believe. It is what tells the truck lights that the plow is hooked up and switches to the plow lights.
  3. westernplow88

westernplow88 Junior Member
    from NJ

hey thanks for the reply.

Today i went and did some more looking into my problem, when i add ground to the light using my power probe both the lights turn on but the low beam is a little dim and the high beams are much better. Checking the harness the dark blue/orange and light blue/orange do not seem to have ground which they are suppose to. I have a feeling the guy who wired the pins for the in cab controls did something wrong, he cant remember if he pinned it correctly for DLR and also the wiring harness has 10 pins while the plug that eventually goes into the joystick only has 7. Also the harness for the lights i found is a part number W61558