1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow light problem

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by FeelLikeANumber, Feb 8, 2010.

1. FeelLikeANumber

FeelLikeANumber Member

I hooked the plow up today and did my usual walk around and noticed that both headlights have the same problem, the little reflector has fallen out of place and has been tumbling around in there. I figure its gotta be something that must happen once in a while. Im not hard on the plow but something must have jolted these things out of place. Anybody ever had this happen? How much work is involved in fixing the lights. Do i have to take the lights completely off the light bar to fix it or can i just pull the front plastic shield off and reach in?

plow light.jpg
  2. hiranger

hiranger Member

That is a known Boss problem on the first year on that series of plow. Unplug all wiring to the lights and pull the allen screws out on the front. You can then pop out the light. Do not try to remove the lens cover. You will need to get a needle nose pliers and mess aroung with it until you cab reach the reflector and slide it back into the grove inside. Then you will want to take a sheet metal screw and screw it into the reflector from the bottom of the light. If you look closely on the bottom of the light you should be able to see a slight indent directly below the reflector. Screw the sheet metal screw in where the indent is. Should take care of it for you.
  3. FeelLikeANumber

FeelLikeANumber Member

ok i've gotten as far as unplugging everything and playing around with the pliers/fingers trying to catch this reflector. i wish there was an easier way cause im not getting anywhere quick. Thank you for your help. Im happy to know im not the only one thats had to do this
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it's still under warranty take it over to the dealer, they'll fix it for you no charge as per Boss' instructions. They know it was an issue on the early lights.
  5. Deckscapes

Deckscapes Senior Member

Take B&B's advice, as it is covered under Boss Warranty -or- use needle nose pliers to grab the vertical portion of the reflector to position it back into place and then use some small self-tapper screws from the bottom of the reflector to permanently fasten the reflector to the housing
  6. FeelLikeANumber

FeelLikeANumber Member

Yeah it was still under warranty but i fixed it. The first one was a little bit of a pain but once i had a system down i managed to get the second one, pulled from the mount bar, taken apart, and fixed within an hour. They say we're gonna get up to 12 inches of snow tonight, and i was on a time crunch yesterday to get em fixed before the snow. Thanks again for the helpful advice. I took other pictures of the "process" but they didnt come out as well as the first. Hope it holds up.
  7. Jumpie

Jumpie Junior Member

mine did the same thing. then the bulb burns out. there is a recall on the lights they need to put a screw to hold into place and the bulbs were too hot of a bulb so they need too change them too.
  8. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

My reflector and bulb went also. I was able to fix the reflector, but had quite the time getting ahold of a new HIR2 bulb. Couln't find them at any automotive store, so I went online and $30 later will have it at my front door on Tuesday.

I was told it the HIR2 can be replaced with a 9006 bulb, it just will not be as bright.

From what I read the HIR2 bulb is the closest thing to HID. So props to BOSS for being new and innovative, but thumbs down on availability.
  9. SawHoss

SawHoss Member

had the same problem. if you can get a forseps it works better than a needle nose pliers.
    even with all these little glitches,BOSS is still the BEST!
  10. I had the same problem also. I followed everyones advice and took it to the dealer for "the fix". They fixed it alright, the same reflector fell out again, and now on top of it the high beam is burnt out. I may and try to fix it tomorrow myself. I also had the low beam light issue, can't find them anywheres, so I put the 9006 in there, I thought it would be really bad, but it isn't. I feel your pain!tymusic
  11. Well I fixed mine myself, took all of a few mins. I unscrewed everything and unhooked the lights and use some tools and it was done.