1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow light problem

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by WELDER, Nov 21, 2004.

1. WELDER

WELDER Member

first off ,id like to say hello to everyone.i found this site from western. ive been peepin around awhile here, and its a pretty kool site.

second ,i got a problem. :confused: i have a 2003 f-250 super duty w/5.4 and reg cab.i have a western 7-6' pro plow. ok here is the problem. last year when i unhooked the plow everything was fine and dandy,as it was a new plow and i didnt really expect any problems.but this weekend when i got the plowout to change the oil,i decided to check the lights too.as i said its a new plow and i didnt expect any problems.wrrong! when i hooked up the quick connects everything worked well as far as the pump. but the headlights will not work on the plow on low beam. the running lights work and turn signals but the lights on the truck come on when its on low.when i switch to hi the plow lights come on and truck lights go off like there supposed to.but when i go back to low again the trucks lights come back on.......i was hoping someone with a western might have had this problem and knows how to fix it. i already cleanded the connectors and changed the relay. still no help.

so once again thanks,and nice to meet everyone here................welder

2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Fisher and western use a lot of the same electrical parts since same parent company owns them both. You problem may lay in the isolator module itself. Recheck all the connections to it.

3. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

With the plow on and low beams on, jiggle (gently) the wires leaving the truck headlights up to the point where the plow light wires tie in to them. See if you can get them to light up. If there are any scotchlok connectors, they would be suspect. You may have a bad ground or other connection. I'm not sure if they use scotchloks on the newer installs. Also find where the plow lights ground at and make sure they are clean and tight connections. I had the same type of problem last year and it was a broken wire within the scotchlok on the ground lead off of the truck headlight. Oh yeah, I had already replaced the relays to no avail before I found the break. I'm not familiar with the Isolater module that Tarkus is describing, so check it if you have it. Good luck...aren't electrical problems fun?
    One other area to look is the quick connects. I've had to spread the pins out every now and then to get a good connection. I just use a small awl, pushing into the center of each small pin, and then coat the pins with a bit of dielectric grease before assembly. Mind you, my plow is early 90 model, so newer ones may be different.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2004
  4. Tarkus

That fact that his truck lights work normally when plow is not one rules out some of the connection because Fisher/Western plugs into existing harness and reroutes through a isolator module with newer installs. I feel that he should focus there and check any connection in plow light circuit between plow and truck too.

5. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

You're probably right. Mine was intermittent with the plow off. I think he's saying the lights switch between the truck on low, and plow on high while hooked up. Thats what mine did, as I remember the lows bouncing back at me off of the plow. I didn't want to blind folks with the high beams so I had to run around a night or two with the plow real low to the street to see; not fun.
    I guess it was rude of me not to say Welcome to the site Welder, so Welcome to the site!

6. Tarkus

I have messed with them first hand so I kinda know them a bit but I do not "walk on water". That isolator module is a mixed blessing and itself it just a series of relays and such in a black box. Yes welcome to site welder. :waving:

7. WELDER

WELDER Member

i will check the things out that you guys suggested. thanks a bunch! still no snow here in NE pa, ,but i didnt want to wait till it was 3 degrees outside to try to fix it. thanks again ,and ill let you know what i find out.............beers on me fellas for all the help :drinkup: .and thanks for the welcome

8. WELDER

WELDER Member

well its fixed! turns out tarkus was right on the money. it was the relay. i replaced one of them but missed the other. it has two. once i replaced the other it lit up like christmas at the grizwalds. lol.......thanks for alll the help.

after i had it fixed ,i wanted to put it out in the driveway.you know, snows comin right? so me and the lil lady, were argueing bout were to put it. she wanted it over there,i wanted it right in front. bla bla bla.anyhow she won, but when i went to drop it, it wouldnt drop. so im thinking WTF! turns out one of the pins was pushed back. sure is alot of problems for a new plow eh? i sure hope this isnt a sign of things to come.....................welder :waving:

9. Tarkus

Glad to be of service and hear you had a happy ending too! :drinkup: