1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow light issue (dim lights + hibeam indicator on) Problem Solved

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by e30tech, Jan 14, 2012.

1. e30tech

e30tech Junior Member

I wanted to post a problem and the solution for an issue I ran into today.

I had a Western dealer wire my truck for my plow setup. I bought the plow used, and not knowing much about them, I decided to have the dealer do all the truckside wiring. I told them what I have and they ordered what I needed. After I got the truck back, I found they wired me up for a 3 plug system and the plow is a 2 plug relay. After doing some research, I ordered a new plow control harness and a set of Nighthawks. I wired up the new lights and control harness last week. I plugged everything in to make sure all was well, which I thought it was until today.

I noticed the high beam indicator was lit no matter the position of the dimmer switch. A buddy told me the lights didn't seem too bright either. I figured it was bad ground so I cleaned up the grounds and tried again. Same issue.

After reading the installation instructions for the 29050 wiring harness, I found they wired my HB1 (9004) headlights for an HB5 (9007) headlight. According to the directions, the common wire and low beam wire need to be removed out of the connectors and their locations swapped. They did not do this. They also had the factory headlight connector in the HB5 slot, which I fixed.

I have a 1991 Bronco with a Western 7 1/2 Ultramount, Nighthawk lights, 3 plug system with HB1 lights.

Hope this info is useful.

Perry

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I hope you called the dealer who did this install and gave them some choice words. If I had installed it I would not only be ashamed of my screw up but I would want to know that I failed. There msut have been some communication error as well. How could they not ask what kind of plow they were wiring your truck for? There are numerous types of plows and wiring systems, V plow or straight blade, two wire or three wire, multiplex or regular and so on....

3. e30tech

e30tech Junior Member

They knew what plow was going to be installed. I gave them the part numbers on the plowside connectors as well as the plow model #. The lady said she would order what was needed.

I didn't call and ***** about the wiring as I realize the isolation system is better than the relay system. So I decided to update the lights.

The real issue to me is they wired the truck to a 9007 headlamp when I have a 9004. It is the same wiring, however you have to swap the common and the low beam pins (remove each from the connector, and swap positions).

I also liked how they ran the control wire through the firewall. Instead of using a grommet, they used plumbers putty. They put enough around the wire to seal an entire house. The best part was the wad was wrapped around the wire, but it was about 2" away from the firewall - so it wasn't sealing anything.

This is the place I went to
    http://www.danforthsinc.com/