1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow light harness - diode- question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by shott8283, Dec 9, 2010.

1. shott8283

shott8283 Senior Member

finally finishing my plow lights

the plow I have is off a 95 dodge ram with the single bulb head lamps and i installed it on my 01 dodge ram with the quad bulb setup

so the original harness i had wouldnt work since it only had two socket adapters instead of the four i needed

for the past two years i wired the plow low and high beams up to a switch in the cab

finally this year during my down time i built the relay setup for the headlamps

while looking and following along with westerns relay diagram and instructions i noticed it requires a diode to be placed between the plow high beam relay to the truck outer high beam relay

what kinda of diode is this? i have some 3amp diodes laying around for some reason so i was going to try them but I wanted to check and see if it may have to be a specific one

thanks!

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

3 amps are good for just about anything. They'll be fine.

3. shott8283

shott8283 Senior Member

great!! thanks B&B!

4. shott8283

shott8283 Senior Member

B&B - got it working! no more messing with stupid switches, everything works as if it came from a dealer - and i was able to save the 100 or so for the harness by making my own.

the diode gave me a problem at first. everything was working but not high beams on the plow. i swapped ends on the diode and it works

thanks

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes you do have to get them in the correct direction for them to do their job. Congrats on the DIY savings. Thumbs Up