1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow light fuse keeps popping

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by redtred, Jan 9, 2010.

1. redtred

redtred Junior Member
    from Maine

Some background first. My truck is an 08 2500 silverado with the duramax. I installed the plow harness myself. The isolation module (3 port) and other wiring on the truck was new a year ago. The plow is a 8ft Fisher mm2 that is about 5 years old. Everything has worked perfectly until the headlight fuse on the plow harness started blowing. It is the 10amp fuse that comes out of port #1 and also has the fuse for the fishstick control in it( two 10 amp fuses under the same cover). If I replace the fuse it will switch back to plow lights for about 15 minuets then blow again. When the fuse goes it switches back to the truck headlights.
    I have gone over the harness looking for a short or grounded wire and have found nothing. I have also gone over the plow with a careful eye and found nothing. My options at this point seem limited. I have looked for what I though it could be but don't want to buy a new isolation module if that isn't what it is. Is there anything else I should be checking before I drop this off at the dealer? Any suggestions are appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Tom

2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

did you take the plow light buckets apart? often corrosion will build there. not likely the module is bad.

3. redtred

redtred Junior Member
    from Maine

I just went out and looked and both sides were very clean. But I did find a broken wire to one of directionals. I'd bet that was it. I fixed it and let the truck run for 20 mins and I still have polw lights. I hope that was it. Thanks for the help! Tom